GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Greetings!

Discussions regarding GO Transit news and other related items seem to be scattered everywhere with no real central topic. Therefore, like the other transits who have their own discussion topics, I have decided to start this. Post any news, questions, delays or just discuss!

-- January 15, 2008 --

- GO Transit Highway 407 East & West routes are experiencing delays due to weather. Delays can last up to 30 minutes.

How about these as they are becoming the norm. Anyone see a pattern and why?

LAKESHORE WEST RAIL SERVICE:

The 0725 train trip from Oakville, arriving Union at 0805, is CANCELLED due to equipment problems.

In order to accomodate passengers, the train trip scheduled to depart Burlington at 0715, arriving Union at 0802, will make ALL STOPS to Union.

This message was sent on: 1/15/2008 6:34 AM

LAKESHORE WEST:

The train trip scheduled to depart Aldershot at 2208, arriving Union at 2307, is operating 35 minutes late as a result of an equipment problem.

This message was sent on: 1/14/2008 11:06 PM

LAKESHORE WEST CORRIDOR UPDATE: The train trip scheduled to depart Union at 1843, arriving Aldershot at 1944, has been CANCELLED between Oakville and Aldershot. Passengers will be accommdated either by GO Bus, or on the next trip, scheduled to depart Union at 1943.

This message was sent on: 1/14/2008 7:54 PM

LAKESHORE WEST:

The 0715 train tip from Burlington to Union (0802) has been CANCELLED. Passengers will be accommodated on the next trip departing Burlington at 0725.

The 0613 train trip from Union to Burlington (0705) has been modified and will not serve Bronte Applby and Burlington stations. Passengers will be accommodated on the next trip departing Bronte at 0733.

This message was sent on: 1/10/2008 7:38 AM

GO Transit Gets Better Wheels - http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18626.aspx

Looks like we may see the new locomotives quite soon!

Those things are the biggest pieces of crap ever, I prefer the F59PH's over these. Either way 602 won't be out running and the rest of the fleet is already built and sitting in MPI's backyard.

From the GO Transit website, starting tomorrow (or rather, today...).

GO Transit's Rail Passenger Survey 2008

GO Transit conducts a customer survey every two years to help us plan and improve our train service. We are inviting you to participate in this year’s online survey.

To access the online survey, you will need to obtain a password code from our survey staff who will be available at Union Station from January 22 to 24, between 12:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. Survey staff will also be available at Kipling GO Station on Wednesday, January 23 and at Bloor GO Station on Thursday, January 24 between 12:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. The last day to submit your completed survey is Monday, February 4, 2008.

GO Transit appreciates your participation. As a thank you, all participants’ names will be entered into a draw for one of 12 GO vouchers, each worth $50. Winners will be selected on Friday, February 15, 2008.

The new parking lot at Aldershot schedule to open Dec 31st -07 is now schedule to open in May.

The parking lot itself is finish, but the area between the lot and the station is not ready. Most of all, the platform 3 elevator is still in construction stage and there is no POP machines on the platform at this time. Aldershot is non accessibly until the first elevator comes on line.

The stories I have heard from GO staff surrounding the non accessibly issue if head shaking.

It's a good thing I decided to not take GO last night as my train was over 30 minutes late and it was having door problems also. It was 20 minutes late last week when I used it during the day to get to a meeting in Burlington.

I have noticed that, but could it be due to the weird weather we've had lately? It sure is causing many commuting problems.

The recent delays have been mainly attributed to main engine failures resulting in the crew going back to the engine to restart the equipment and, numerous door problems especially with the newer Bi-Levels and cab cars. These door problems seem to be more prevelant during heavy snow falls and the cold snaps for some reason. And then there is the wonderful mechanical problems which result from objects placed on the tracks by trespassers. This causes a loose connection between the cars that must be found when a hose bag is broken resulting in an air problem. Last but not least trespassers on the right of way continue to be a problem with close calls every now an then and some resulting with the crew stopping the train waiting for police.

• 4 weeks later...

Some more GO News and sinippets from the recent board meeting:

• MCI 102C3 series 1520-1531 will retire this year thus a 100% accessible fleet system wide for the bus network
  • 12 replacement coaches to be delivered in March 2008
  • 12 double decker buses to be delievered sometime in February, balance of 10 is expected in December 2008
  • Fleet expected to grow to 354 buses by late fall
  • Streetsville garage should be completed by December 2008
  • Engineering plans are being developed for new garages in Ajax and Oshawa
  • Route 94 will be eliminated in approximately five years with local bus trips being taken over by DRT, GO will focus on express sevices and new expansion into eastern markets.
  • Effective April 26, new weekday/weekend BRT servicing Square One, Richmond Hill Centre, and Pearson Airport. Square One service will operate every 30 minutes, RHC service will be every 60 minutes. This service will be in addition to Route 34 which will maintain the current schedule.
  • New bus service linking Pearson Airport, Stoney Creek, Milton and Bronte.
  • 30 stations will get sheltered bike racks
  • On February 8th the board approved an additional 44 buses, 20 will replace older units (maybe Orions) and 24 for new/service growth requirements. Two buses out of this order will be equipped with hybrid engines for testing
  • Lakeshore West pasengers will be introduced to Presto this year.

[*]On February 8th the board approved an additional 44 buses, 20 will replace older units (maybe Orions) and 24 for new/service growth requirements. Two buses out of this order will be equipped with hybrid engines for testing

the replaced units appear to be Prevosts since theres only 20 of them and 30 Orions

[*]Effective April 26, new weekday/weekend BRT servicing Square One, Richmond Hill Centre, and Pearson Airport. Square One service will operate every 30 minutes, RHC service will be every 60 minutes. This service will be in addition to Route 34 which will maintain the current schedule.

[*][

Is there more details on this one? Will this service the existing langstaff GO station with commuters using the new RHC Pedestrian bridge to connect to Richmond Hill Centre? Or will this bus route go directly into the YRT/Viva Richmond Hill Centre Terminal????

Those things are the biggest pieces of crap ever, I prefer the F59PH's over these. Either way 602 won't be out running and the rest of the fleet is already built and sitting in MPI's backyard.

Why's that? They're supposedly fuel-efficient, able to pull longer trains carrying about 300 additional passengers, quieter, faster, stronger, more reliable and more efficient.

Just wondering, since I don't know much about trains.

Why's that? They're supposedly fuel-efficient, able to pull longer trains carrying about 300 additional passengers, quieter, faster, stronger, more reliable and more efficient.

Just wondering, since I don't know much about trains.

On paper they are all of the above, but so far they seem to be proving to be a little less up to snuff in the real world. Accelleration/gear ratio issues, power issues having to do with emissions restrictions, and problems getting up to speed with 12 loaded cars are just a few things so far.

And the crews don't seem to like them :)

On paper they are all of the above, but so far they seem to be proving to be a little less up to snuff in the real world. Accelleration/gear ratio issues, power issues having to do with emissions restrictions, and problems getting up to speed with 12 loaded cars are just a few things so far.

And the crews don't seem to like them :)

I just rode one last night, apperantly the 602 seems louder than the old loco. Powerwise, not much difference and it was out of service after hitting some debris underneath on my way on westbound.

the replaced units appear to be Prevosts since theres only 20 of them and 30 Orions

That's what I'm thinking, they seem to getting rid of the oddball fleet once the ex-California buses are out! Long live the Prevost as it will be farewell to 2nd hand use!

That's what I'm thinking, they seem to getting rid of the oddball fleet once the ex-California buses are out! Long live the Prevost as it will be farewell to 2nd hand use!

Heh, I knew those 15xx would be retired sometime soon, better get your photos everybody before they disappear. If they do get rid of the Prevosts, I'm going to be sad, I like those coaches, and they're only 9 years old. :)

If GO starts to enters RHC directly, looks like we'll have another place to catch multiple transit agencies other than Finch, York U and Newmarket. :angry:

Heh, I knew those 15xx would be retired sometime soon, better get your photos everybody before they disappear. If they do get rid of the Prevosts, I'm going to be sad, I like those coaches, and they're only 9 years old. :)

If GO starts to enters RHC directly, looks like we'll have another place to catch multiple transit agencies other than Finch, York U and Newmarket. :angry:

take heart, they'll all make it to good homes. they're too well maintained to die anytime soon.

The problem with Prevost is parts, they are more difficult to find for some of the components and they've rust early. Besides, they aren't transit users friendly.

As much I like the ride of the Prevost in terms of their suspension that feels like a cloud and the only coach that can recline at the back, they rattle too much.

The problem with Prevost is parts, they are more difficult to find for some of the components and they've rust early. Besides, they aren't transit users friendly.

As much I like the ride of the Prevost in terms of their suspension that feels like a cloud and the only coach that can recline at the back, they rattle too much.

From what I've heard (and I think I mentioned it before), many drivers say good things about the Prevosts due to the aerodynamic style and weight that assists in winter conditions. I know one driver who definitely will miss the Prevosts (prefers them due to back problems).

From what I've heard (and I think I mentioned it before), many drivers say good things about the Prevosts due to the aerodynamic style and weight that assists in winter conditions. I know one driver who definitely will miss the Prevosts (prefers them due to back problems).

I think I can understand that... I've seen numerous times the newer MCI's fish-tailing a little bit in snowy conditions while coming out of unionville GO Station (making the turn to go northbound on Kennedy Road). I haven't seen one 15xx have problems in the snow at all.