X212HHE

Hello,

Thought id start a new topic as I couldn't find a related one, but recently a few company's from around my area have taken delivery of some new buses so I thought Id share some photos of them with you.

14013290867_0c79e87c28.jpg
Arriva Wakefield 1009 [YY14 LFV] by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr
Above is a photo of one of 31 the brand new Alexander Dennis Enviro 200s that have been ordered by Arriva for their Wakefield and Castleford depots. These buses are still in the process of being delivered from Alexander Dennis. They feature e-leather seats and Cummins engines with ZF transmissions.

14150962432_ab9da28368.jpg
Yorkshire Tiger (Flying Tiger) 793 [YJ14 BWX] by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr
Above is a photo of one of 5 brand new Optare Versas V1170 with Euro5 Cummins engines and Allison transmissions that are now in service with Yorkshire Tiger. They have been ordered to a high spec for the popular airport service from Leeds Bus Station and Leeds Bradford International . They will feature Wi-Fi, charging points, luggage racks, next stop announcements, wood effect floor and e-leather seats.

If i could weigh in X212 HHE's post(New user here btw, am also from Wakefield near Leeds in West Yorkshire, England), i have a few photos to share with new buses in Yorkshire.

Ross Travel Optare Solo SR M9600 1 YJ14 BBE rel="external nofollow">

Ross Travel Optare Solo SR M9600 1 YJ14 BBE by Wakefield And Beyond Transport Photos, on Flickr

10629223175_5664a1448a_z.jpg

Ross Travel(Featherstone Rover) Optare Solo M960 SR 12 YD63 UZH by Wakefield And Beyond Transport Photos, on Flickr

Ross Travel of Featherstone have also recently taken delivery of 2 Optare Solo SR's with Mercedes Engines and 5 speed Allison Gearboxes, one being delivered in September 2013 and March 2014.

• 1 month later...

Here are some photos of the 31 brand new Alexander Dennis Enviro 200s that have just yesterday entered service with Arriva Wakefield, They are quite well specified with free Wi-Fi, eLeather Seats as well as having ZF AS Tronic 6 speed gearboxes and Cummins engines. These will be appearing on all of the Wakefield Local services from now on.

14273366939_518108c289.jpg

Arriva Wakefield MAX 1027 [YY14 LGX] by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr

1027 [YY14 LGX]

14458883684_63d3d5f3fb.jpg

Arriva Wakefield MAX 1031 [YY14 LHC] by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr

1031 [YY14 LHC]

14480154843_fc6b9d7f5f.jpg

Arriva Wakefield MAX 1017 [YY14 LGF] by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr

1017 [YY14 LGF]

• 4 weeks later...

Nice photos folks!

Are transit vehicles in Great Britain primarily identified by their vanity plate? I have seen many photos from that region which only mention the vanity plate number, and photos of units with no visible fleet number, while here in North America the fleet number is much more important.

Also, what is the typical lifespan of a Enviro 200, Solo, or Versa type of bus there? Here we would call that a ten year bus, meaning that it should last ten years/350,000 miles/563,000km without needed a major rebuild. With private operators there however I assume they try to rebuild their buses every so often so as to keep their customers happy.

Nice photos folks!

Are transit vehicles in Great Britain primarily identified by their vanity plate? I have seen many photos from that region which only mention the vanity plate number, and photos of units with no visible fleet number, while here in North America the fleet number is much more important.

Also, what is the typical lifespan of a Enviro 200, Solo, or Versa type of bus there? Here we would call that a ten year bus, meaning that it should last ten years/350,000 miles/563,000km without needed a major rebuild. With private operators there however I assume they try to rebuild their buses every so often so as to keep their customers happy.

Hi MVTArider

In G.B. fleet numbers are usually hard to see from a distance compared to North American transit. The plates do help at times when you can't see the number and the plates are more visible. Here in Dublin, we identify all buses by using the vanity plate (called regs or registration plates there!) as the fleet number is not on the front especially on older vehicles.

I'd say Enviro 200s or Solos last anywhere from 8-12 years. They're still new so not sure yet but that's how long single decks last.

Hope this helps. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photos folks!

They are more important at identifying buses here as they can provide quite a bit of information about the vehicle because on new registration plates (vanity plates) the middle numbers tell you the age of the vehicle so for example "YJ09 MJO" is built in 2009 it does get a bit more confusing sometimes because if the bus is built in the second half of the year it has a 5 or 6 in front of the year it was built so for example "YJ57 BVV" was built in 2007 and "YJ60 YYO" is 2010. Another reason why we tend to identify buses of registration plates is because if you search them online you can work out which operator the bus was new to and other information such as chassis codes and body numbers. A very good website I use is http://www.buslistsontheweb.co.uk/ if you go onto search on it you can enter registration plates of buses built in the UK (even if they have been delivered elsewhere) and find out some useful info about them.

As for the lifespan of the Enviro 200, Solo, or Versa here it is hard to call so far for most of them as the first Enviro 200 was built in 2006 so is only 8 years old so far and still operating strong. The first Versa was built in 2007 and is still in active service now making it only 7 years old so far. The Solos do seem to have a very good life span though from what I can tell the first ever Solo was built in 1998 and is still in service meaning it has a life span of 16 years so far however some Solos have lasted a shorter time than that due to damage caused either by crashes or fire.

• 4 months later...

Here is a photo of 1 of the brand new 10 Door Forward Wright Streetlites which have recently been delivered to First Huddersfield for use on a range of local services. The buses are powered by a Cummins 6-cylinder ISBe engine connecting to a Voith 824.6 4 speed gearbox. These also feature 37 e-leather seats.

15499040090_ca73695c96.jpg

New! First Huddersfield 47499 [sN64 CHO]by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr

Ah, good old Yorkshire, haven't been up there in donkey's yonks, mind you I haven't been home to Derbyshire in just as long!

Whenever I did visit Yorkshire I always felt like breaking out in a round off "Wheear 'ast tha bin sin' ah saw thee, ah saw thee? On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at". For the record my mum's family was from the Leeds area so I can claim some Yorkshire blood!

X212HHE thanks for the explanation on the current UK license plates. Didn't know that the numbers now reflected the year too.

Also thanks for the photos, the last time I rode a bus in the UK was in Birmingham back in 1996 so it is interesting to see the current fleet. I find some of them to be ugly (imo) as if someone tried to overstyle them, but I see the same thing happening on the rail network.

Please keep up the good work!

By the way you should apply to become an editor an the wiki, then you can create a page for the fleets.

Nice photos X212HHE. Is First Yorkshire getting the new B5TL's yet or do they have already? There's some in Dublin but they're rotten buses. Very rattly and squeaky.

I don't think so I heard there is a demonstrator with First Greater Manchester but I don't think there have been any actual orders for any yet, First South Yorkshire have got there first Wright Streedeck which has same body but integral wright chassis with Mercedes engine,

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

16770965729_280862b9f9.jpg

Arriva MAX Dewsbury 1925 [sN15 LLT] by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr

Arriva Yorkshire are currently in the middle of putting there 34 Brand New Alexander Enviro 400s into service this week saw 17 of them enter service on the 202/3 route between Leeds and Huddersfield (via Dewsbury) the next batch of 17 will be used on the 110 route between Leeds and Wakefield. These new buses all feature e-leather seats, free wi-fi and USB charging sockets. They are powered by Cummins 5 litre engines with ZF transmissions. The vehicle in the photo graph is 1925 [sN15 LLT] which is based at Arriva Dewsburys depot and is working the 203 towards Leeds.

• 3 months later...

19450586809_05f6f4b881.jpg
Stagecoach Barnsley 27206 [sL64 HYU] by West Yorkshire Bus Photo's, on Flickr
New (well it was in February... ;) ) Stagecoach Yorkshire 27206 [sL64 HYU] Alexander Dennis Enviro 300 which features a Cummins ISBe 6 Cylinder which is coupled with a Voith D854 gearbox. This is one of 3 they gained for use on there range of routes around the Barnsley area. It is pictured parked up on display at the Heath Common bus rally along with a selection of other buses new and preserved.