GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

New westbound trip departing Brampton Terminal at 0830 arriving Bramalea 0851 to meet 0905 train to Union arriving 0938

etc...

Does the long list of service changes between Union and Brampton/Bramalea qualify as a major expansion? People here and elsewhere have been asking for improvements -- and an explanation as to why Milton has such frequent trainbus times while B/B/Union seems to languish.

Does the long list of service changes between Union and Brampton/Bramalea qualify as a major expansion? People here and elsewhere have been asking for improvements -- and an explanation as to why Milton has such frequent trainbus times while B/B/Union seems to languish.

The Georgetown corridor is only seeing (from what I can tell from the posting) 4 additional trips, 2 in each direction. The rest of the changes are simply adjustments to the existing schedule.

As for Milton, there's just the peak 403 route into Finch/Yorkdale that only stops at Erin Mills and Square One, whereas Georgetown has alternating all-day (I believe) service to Union and Finch/Yorkdale. I don't know why GO has singled out Mississauga for such frequent service. 3 rail lines, plus frequent GO bus service all week, luck of the draw or dilligent planning?

I don't know why GO has singled out Mississauga for such frequent service. 3 rail lines, plus frequent GO bus service all week, luck of the draw or dilligent planning?

Perhaps because more people have consistently taken the train/bus from Mississauga than from Brampton?

Naw, couldn't be. It makes too much sense.

Dan

I don't know why GO has singled out Mississauga for such frequent service. 3 rail lines, plus frequent GO bus service all week, luck of the draw or dilligent planning?

While technically true that we have 3 GO lines running through Mississauga, I wouldn't really say it's three in practice. Lakeshore West only serves two Mississauga stops: Port Credit and Clarkson (you could argue Long Branch, though it's in Etobicoke). Georgetown only serves Malton in Mississauga. Milton is really the only line that mostly serves Mississauga, with stops at Dixie, Cooksville, Erindale, Streetsville, Lisgar and Meadowvale. The frequent GO bus service on the Milton corridor is due to the fact that it is a line that should already have all-day, both-way service, moreso than any other non-Lakeshore route. GO is simply keeping up with the demand that's there.

Perhaps because more people have consistently taken the train/bus from Mississauga than from Brampton?

Naw, couldn't be. It makes too much sense.

Dan

Before this starts to get nasty, I was just trying to come off as facetious without seeming smug about Mississauga's GO Transit service levels. :angry:

Before this starts to get nasty, I was just trying to come off as facetious without seeming smug about Mississauga's GO Transit service levels. :angry:

Fair enough.

But this is a question that seems to be coming up for the past 10 or more years for no particular reason, likely because the Bramptonians somehow feel slighted by having less service.

Perhaps if they were to take the bus/train more often, GO would then reciprocate by adding more services. Seems like a simpler matter to me.

Dan

Fair enough.

But this is a question that seems to be coming up for the past 10 or more years for no particular reason, likely because the Bramptonians somehow feel slighted by having less service.

Perhaps if they were to take the bus/train more often, GO would then reciprocate by adding more services. Seems like a simpler matter to me.

Dan

It's the vicious cycle. People won't take transit if the service is poor, and I believe that we need to make the investment to attract people to transit before we'll see ridership grow.

Just yesterday afternoon I saw the EB GO Train run past Morningside Avenue and 30 seconds later the WB train showed up at the same crossing. My guess is the EB train was running late. According to GO's website, the train that was running late had door problems.

I was on that one, but I got off at Union (LW to LE). The train left Union about 5 minutes late.

It's the vicious cycle. People won't take transit if the service is poor, and I believe that we need to make the investment to attract people to transit before we'll see ridership grow.

The GO service in Brampton is not poor It's really good actually. The majority of GO riders in Brampton prefer to use the Yorkdale/York Mills service, because it runs every 30 minutes 7 days a week, compared to 1-3 hours for the Train/bus.

Strange as it sounds, Bramptonians are more familiar with taking the bus to/from Yorkdale/York Mills.

The Trainbus just does not run frequently enough for Bramptonians to use it, except during peak periods.

What GO transit should think about it, is running an hourly direct service to Mount Pleasant. That is where most of the growth in Brampton is happening.

The GO service in Brampton is not poor It's really good actually. The majority of GO riders in Brampton prefer to use the Yorkdale/York Mills service, because it runs every 30 minutes 7 days a week, compared to 1-3 hours for the Train/bus.

Strange as it sounds, Bramptonians are more familiar with taking the bus to/from Yorkdale/York Mills.

The Trainbus just does not run frequently enough for Bramptonians to use it, except during peak periods.

What GO transit should think about it, is running an hourly direct service to Mount Pleasant. That is where most of the growth in Brampton is happening.

We definitely need better Train-Bus service. Right now, I would settle for a few trips heading downtown after the 1:45 train.

We definitely need better Train-Bus service. Right now, I would settle for a few trips heading downtown after the 1:45 train.

Yes.

The York Mills buses are fine for going to places in northern Toronto, but it's an extra 30 minutes to get downtown to Union, on top of the 1 hour or so bus ride since all buses out of peak hours are damn locals! (most people get on somewhere in Brampton and get off at Yorkdale...why not alternate locals and expresses every so often?). On average a typical Brampton-Union bus trip is about 40 minutes-1 hr depending on traffic (train service is about 40 mins).

More Brampton-Union off-peak and PM hour bus service would be ideal. A lot of Bramptonites don't give the time of day to GO bus service, maybe it's the service levels? Build it and they will come!

A couple years back GO had initiated a study of the Brampton Corridor and major changes were to take place with a complete overhaul of the corridor itself. I have no evidence of this but I somehow felt that Mount Pleasant would become the new terminus similar to Brampton Terminal today. Many of the commuters I have talked to who use the service daily to commute downtown would prefer to see seven-day expansion of the Hwy410 via Steeles trips to YD/YM, with increased frequencies from Union to Brampton and vice versa. Two of the weekend trips departing at 1430 and 1730 are sometimes overloaded and an extra coach is needed to double up the trip. On more than one occassion especially on weekends (ususally a Sunday) if there is a special event in downtown Toronto the first trips from Brampton to Union are fully loaded at Brampton Terminal with extra passengers at Bramalea and Malton. One of the problems right now is manpower requirements as GO continues to hire/train new Bus Operators on a continual basis. But I concur, its time for hourly train-bus service in this corridor.

Went by Newmarket GO garage today, guess because it's a nice day out that Viva and GO are putting a lot of their buses out (should've seen all the Viva buses out in the sun). I only saw a couple Prevosts, an Orion and a number of MCIs, but none of the new ones. :lol:

A couple years back GO had initiated a study of the Brampton Corridor and major changes were to take place with a complete overhaul of the corridor itself. ...Two of the weekend trips departing at 1430 and 1730 are sometimes overloaded and an extra coach is needed to double up the trip. On more than one occassion especially on weekends (ususally a Sunday) if there is a special event in downtown Toronto the first trips from Brampton to Union are fully loaded at Brampton Terminal with extra passengers at Bramalea and Malton. One of the problems right now is manpower requirements as GO continues to hire/train new Bus Operators on a continual basis. But I concur, its time for hourly train-bus service in this corridor.

Thanks for all the information.

I completely agree with all of you, and I have been pushing GO Transit for these for years.

Weekend service for GO hasn't changed for at least 20 years on this corridor, and every other corridor, save for Richmond Hill, has hourly or better train or bus service to Union, 7 days a week. I would also argue for better weekday evening service to Union - right now, the buses are either at 15:30, 18:30, 21:30 and that's it from Brampton. A 14:30, 16:30, 17:30 and a 19:30 departure would probably be sufficient for now. The additional weekday evening runs are great, the 1:30 departure a great idea, but shouldn't that run Saturdays as well?

As for manpower, I question why GO is adding new services, like the RH-YYZ-SQ1 route, 7 days a week, when it can't manage the loads on its existing services. I've had the feeling for years that Brampton's been neglected while improvements have come to most other corridors.

I've done the Highway 27/Airport Road locals many times, they are slow and also suffer from overcrowding weekend afternoons between Bramalea City Centre and Yorkdale.

Sean

I've done the Highway 27/Airport Road locals many times, they are slow and also suffer from overcrowding weekend afternoons between Bramalea City Centre and Yorkdale.

Sean

I was on one just yesterday. Congestion on the 401 near the 400 because of a two-truck fender bender and a fuel truck rollover caused us to be 15 minutes late into Yorkdale.

Given the option, I would have gladly taken the train, if GO run trains to Union after 1:45...even a more direct GO bus straight to Union (down the 427/QEW).

With the extended trainsets on the Stouffville Line, are those temporary or permanent? These are the trainsets that used to be L8s and recently became L10s, are these a result of the possible TTC Strike?

The trainsets are for the following trains from Stouffville: 0604 and 0642. From Union it would be the 1618 and 1648.

With the extended trainsets on the Stouffville Line, are those temporary or permanent? These are the trainsets that used to be L8s and recently became L10s, are these a result of the possible TTC Strike?

The trainsets are for the following trains from Stouffville: 0604 and 0642. From Union it would be the 1618 and 1648.

They are supposed to be temporary extensions to help anticipated crowds should the TTC go on strike.

There certainly is precedence for keeping "temporary" services around after TTC strikes though - the 4th morning Richmond Hill train was maintained despite the last TTC strike ending.

Dan

They are supposed to be temporary extensions to help anticipated crowds should the TTC go on strike.

There certainly is precedence for keeping "temporary" services around after TTC strikes though - the 4th morning Richmond Hill train was maintained despite the last TTC strike ending.

Dan

Well of course with the 0642 train from Stouffville (Arriving at 0743 at Union) as well as the 1648 from Union are very packed in the L8 trainsets before these we're extended to L10s. In fact the train that goes into Union at 0743 from the Stouffville corridor is already packed by the time it reaches Unionville, since the 0816 train that comes in to Union already is running at around 125% of seated capacity between Union and Agincourt.

Well this link is quite interesting...:

http://www.gotransit.com/strategicplanning...otp/default.htm

It's past GO train on time performance... EDIT: It reflects from April 2007 - March 2008. (Per cent of trips arriving within five minutes of scheduled time)

The worst one I found was at 55% on time performance - which was the Eastbound Lakeshore East line which departs Union at 07:43 and arrives Pickering at 08:08.

The best one I found was at 99% on time performance - which was the Westbound Lakeshore East line which departs Oshawa at 05:07 and arrives Union at 06:07.

Well this link is quite interesting...:

http://www.gotransit.com/strategicplanning...otp/default.htm

It's past GO train on time performance... EDIT: It reflects from April 2007 - March 2008. (Per cent of trips arriving within five minutes of scheduled time)

The worst one I found was at 55% on time performance - which was the Eastbound Lakeshore East line which departs Union at 07:43 and arrives Pickering at 08:08.

The best one I found was at 99% on time performance - which was the Westbound Lakeshore East line which departs Oshawa at 05:47 and arrives Union at 06:07.

Don't you mean the 05:07 Lakeshore East Westbound Train that gets the 99% on-time performance, since this is the train that gets like very little traffic due to its early bird operation?

Don't really know why that semi-deadheading train that departs Union at 07:43 for Pickering is the worst on time performance, I think it's due to the congestion that is in place for the trains in the Lakeshore corridor at this hour.

I'm even not surprised that the Georgetown bound PM Rush trains are not that reliable with the schedules.