Nova wins 2012 MetroX order

Halifax_Route10

It would appear that Metro Transit is officially cozy with Nova again:

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/doc...11025ca1113.pdf

They're recommending Nova be awarded the contract for 9 40ft LFS buses, with an option for 6 more. Delivery targeted for early 2012. This would be for the Airport/Fall River MetroX service, and the buses will be equipped with luggage racks. That route's going to have a lot of highway driving...

Orion actually put in the lowest bid!

It would appear that Metro Transit is officially cozy with Nova again:

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agendasc/doc...11025ca1113.pdf

They're recommending Nova be awarded the contract for 9 40ft LFS buses, with an option for 6 more. Delivery targeted for early 2012. This would be for the Airport/Fall River MetroX service, and the buses will be equipped with luggage racks. That route's going to have a lot of highway driving...

Orion actually put in the lowest bid!

Looks like they took the quality over cost option... Orion is a cheap product afterall.. They probably figured to pay a lil more for Nova and get a lot more for their dollar.

Looks like they took the quality over cost option... Orion is a cheap product afterall.. They probably figured to pay a lil more for Nova and get a lot more for their dollar.

That's pretty much what transit does, lowest tender may not be necessary!

I agree, for quality(body), i would go for Nova, while NFI can deliver at a lower cost..............well Orion? i don't want it if i want quality, i don't want it either if i want something low price........in another word they have no market at all..........

Congratulations to Nova!!! Would love to see more Novas around!

I agree, for quality(body), i would go for Nova, while NFI can deliver at a lower cost..............well Orion? i don't want it if i want quality, i don't want it either if i want something low price........in another word they have no market at all..........

Congratulations to Nova!!! Would love to see more Novas around!

Well I wouldn't say Orion is total crap. Right now in Ottawa the NGs are our most reliable buses with a Average Mean Distance Between Failure (MDBF) double the next most reliable bus. Which the next one ironically is the Orion Vs, even though those are now gone.

But we don't have anything Nova except some first gens that are now gone so I guess it isn't totally fair to compare, but in OC Transpo's case, the Orions are our most reliable bus. Goes to say something about New Flyers.

Plus most mechanics at OC prefer to work on the NGs over other types of buses since they are nice and simple to work on and never come in for much other then preventive maintenance (which so does the rest of the fleet, except the rest usually comes in with stuff more then preventive maintenance). They aren't perfect like anything else, but they sure don't have as many problems as the rest of the fleet.

Even our new D60LFRs in Ottawa which are 2 years newer then the majority of the NGs, have way more problems. To add on for the age factor, they just got delivered last fall/winter. This means the majority are just turning a year old recently.

And in my personal opinion, I never thought the NGs would be this good considering in Toronto they are turning out to be completely opposite. But they are turning out to be the best buses we've bought in a long time.

Also to add onto the this before someone claims "Maybe OC gives the NGs better maintenance treatment", well we don't. All buses are treated equal (unless their high floor, which doesn't count anymore). It's the quality factor that has created the problems we deal with today. They are all given the same preventive maintenance, the same inspections, the same everything. So it is not our service department that is the problem.

Now just thought I'd say that, sorry for going off topic.

Totally off topic:

Also everytime we've bought New Flyers and the Enviro 500s since 2001. It has been because the City/City Council picked those vehicles then transfered them to us. The Orion NGs were the first buses that OC Transpo actually picked themselves. This might be a factor in the reliability, but all the other previous orders were forced on OC by the City. We were supposed to be able to pick every vehicle since 2008 as OC got fed up with being given crap buses, but all other orders made since then (the 306 D60LFRs and the 75 Enviro 500s) were forced by City Council.

So much for being given "choice". As now after the 75 Enviro 500s arrive, our fleet will be so new that we won't have anything to replace for a while. With OC also trying to downsize the fleet, they will not be buying any expansion buses.

And in my personal opinion, I never thought the NGs would be this good considering in Toronto they are turning out to be completely opposite. But they are turning out to be the best buses we've bought in a long time.

That can be attributed partly to dispatchers not knowing where to properly use them.

That can be attributed partly to dispatchers not knowing where to properly use them.
Actually that is questionable, we actually runs ours on much faster routes then Toronto thanks to our transitway, yet ours are still the most reliable bus we got.

But also with our frequent transitway stops (since most routes stop at every station except for stops like Pleasant Park, Lycee Claudel, etc.), they get a long charging period on approach to the stations and since there is no car traffic, it can be a constant de-acceleration.

And they do get put on the Transitway more frequently then they should be thanks in part to our route structure being based around the Transitway (especially for deadheading). At night as well when drivers take them to be used for driver shuttles (between midnight and 6 AM), they always use the 417 to drive the drivers home, and they usually take a hybrid.

----------

Also, our dispatchers aren't much better. This is why you can find artics on routes that never need them and Hybrids on routes that go fast. They only placements they do get right is the double decker placements but OC is very strict on the placement of those due to the regulated nature of them. In fact it is hard to mess up on the placement of the double deckers due to the fact they can only be put on 700-XX runs.

It would of been interesting if these buses were hybrids. No one out east has hybrids yet.

Indeed. After our two DE60LFRs, Metro Transit seems to have gone back to Diesel. Although I don't know if there would be an advantage for this particular order; these buses will largely be doing 100km/h highway driving on their intended route.

Also, as a general note, I mentioned Orion's bid in the first place because, in the past, Orion has usually been the highest bidder on our tenders. In our 2006 tender, their bid was $2M higher than New Flyer's. Just thought it was an interesting reversal...

This order could open some more doors in years to come for Nova :)

It would of been interesting if these buses were hybrids. No one out east has hybrids yet.

Why do you bring up OC transpo in every thread to compare to other systems? Just because they are reliable in Ottawa does not mean they are reliable anywhere else! Can we please stay on topic thank you very much.

Have you ever done the job of a dispatcher? Its not an easy job.

OC's experience would seem to be unique if their's NG are "reliable" for them. Not to get me wrong the mechanic up at Sault Ste Marie love their Orions as well although their next order is going to switch for Nova. Foreman at Saint John Transit seems to be happy with them too so..............i can only say MOST places with Orion are having a horrible experience, I wouldn't say "ALL"..............

but I just being suprised why they are getting next to "NO" new orders in Canada if they are building a better bus?.................you can almost count your fingers on how many new orders they have for Canada in 2011..................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I wouldn't say Orion is total crap. Right now in Ottawa the NGs are our most reliable buses with a Average Mean Distance Between Failure (MDBF) double the next most reliable bus. Which the next one ironically is the Orion Vs, even though those are now gone.

But we don't have anything Nova except some first gens that are now gone so I guess it isn't totally fair to compare, but in OC Transpo's case, the Orions are our most reliable bus. Goes to say something about New Flyers.

Plus most mechanics at OC prefer to work on the NGs over other types of buses since they are nice and simple to work on and never come in for much other then preventive maintenance (which so does the rest of the fleet, except the rest usually comes in with stuff more then preventive maintenance). They aren't perfect like anything else, but they sure don't have as many problems as the rest of the fleet.

Even our new D60LFRs in Ottawa which are 2 years newer then the majority of the NGs, have way more problems. To add on for the age factor, they just got delivered last fall/winter. This means the majority are just turning a year old recently.

Also to add onto the this before someone claims "Maybe OC gives the NGs better maintenance treatment", well we don't. All buses are treated equal (unless their high floor, which doesn't count anymore). It's the quality factor that has created the problems we deal with today. They are all given the same preventive maintenance, the same inspections, the same everything. So it is not our service department that is the problem.

From my short experince at MTD, TTCs hybrids had, probably still has a coolant sensor problem.(and others problems but mainly at the time coolant sensor) Little glitchs in the electrical system can shut a bus down. Apparently the type of coolant was affecting the 1st gen hybrids. Where the 2nd gen hybrids didn't appear to have that problem. I guess because the sensor or termistor was reacting to the coolant differently. I remember when some of the guys were telling me about comparing them to the 1st gens at Malvern to the ones at MTD and they weren't having the problem untill they switch coolant. TTCs hybrids have definitly come along way, and mechanics don't mind working on them either.They still have a long way to go though. Its good and interesting to see how other transit systems experince the same bus with different results.

From my short experince at MTD, TTCs hybrids had, probably still has a coolant sensor problem.(and others problems but mainly at the time coolant sensor) Little glitchs in the electrical system can shut a bus down. Apparently the type of coolant was affecting the 1st gen hybrids. Where the 2nd gen hybrids didn't appear to have that problem. I guess because the sensor or termistor was reacting to the coolant differently. I remember when some of the guys were telling me about comparing them to the 1st gens at Malvern to the ones at MTD and they weren't having the problem untill they switch coolant. TTCs hybrids have definitly come along way, and mechanics don't mind working on them either.They still have a long way to go though. Its good and interesting to see how other transit systems experince the same bus with different results.

Great photos!

I'll be curious to see if anyone ever sits in those seats right behind the driver...very cramped-looking.

Weather they are facing forward or sideways, its very uncomfortable. Thats the only part of the Nova LFS buses I don't like.

The layout of this bus seems crap to me, while all the front part seatings are facing forward which is nice, the luggage rack are horrible. And they should sacrifice the two seats behind the shame panel to install there a true luggage rack (like on STM 747 bus)

The layout of this bus seems crap to me, while all the front part seatings are facing forward which is nice, the luggage rack are horrible. And they should sacrifice the two seats behind the shame panel to install there a true luggage rack (like on STM 747 bus)

I have to agree with it!

Every driver including myself has said that about those seats remove them and add a caged luggage area. We will have big problems with the luggage racks for sure they won’t fit much. On top of that Nova Scotia has some of the strictest rules when it comes to carrying things on a bus and where it is allowed to be placed.