Photo

Transit in Hong Kong

• Please log in to reply
549 replies to this topic

#481 vivablue5215

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Reporting from Hong Kong, there has been on average about 12-15 hot dogs that are out on weekdays, and about 3-5 on Sundays. The 16 continues to be a hotspot for them, though the 30X has also been getting its fair share.

25 remain in service.

#482 neopasturquoise

• 666 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Sorry for the late post, here's a short video of the retired KMB Mitsubishi FUSO MK (AM):
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PbZYFQ4vE6w
Posted Image
Posted Image

#483 Neoupa2002

• World's most mediocre pianist.

• 495 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Reporting from Hong Kong, there has been on average about 12-15 hot dogs that are out on weekdays, and about 3-5 on Sundays. The 16 continues to be a hotspot for them, though the 30X has also been getting its fair share.

25 remain in service.

The last time I was in HK (1-2 years ago), the 30X had like...one hot dog and it was usually sitting at Allway Gardens as a spare...since it never moved the entire day. The 39A, on the other hand had at least two hot dogs in all day service.

30X isn't exactly a short route, so I'm slightly surprised that the hot dogs are still assigned to the route. IIRC it was one of the first few routes to get A/C buses running regularly in that area.
Retired piano player.

#484 kevlo86

• Administrator

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

Here are a few photos of some earlier Dennis Tridents of KMB and NWFB

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#485 vivablue5215

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

There was one hot dog sitting at the corner of Tsing Yi Depot when I was passing by early this morning. Couldn't see if it was in service or not though as I passed by on Route 8.

#486 wchu94

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 171 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

Boys arrested for trying to take double-decker
Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Two boys, aged 12 and 14, were arrested early yesterday for trying to make off with a double- decker bus.

They were nabbed after sneaking into a bus terminus outside University station of the East Rail line.

According to police, they managed to get into an off-service bus at the terminus along Chak Cheung Street in Ma Liu Shui around 2am.

An alert KMB employee became suspicious when he spotted the bus moving slowly away from the bay. When he saw the 14-year-old, surnamed Wong, at the wheel, he managed to get him to stop the vehicle.

Police later discovered the other boy, Ng, on board along with three route signs.

Officers charged Wong with taking a conveyance without authority, driving without a license and using a vehicle without third-party insurance. Ng was charged with theft and taking a conveyance without authority.

The boys were released on bail and are due to report back to authorities next month.

Kowloon Motor Bus will conduct a probe into how they managed to board the Volvo Olympian 11.3-meter bus and start its engine.

KMB staff union chairman Kwok Wai- kwong said they could have found the all-access key that turns on the ignition of most buses.

#487 Volvo Super Olympian

• 210 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

that's just being stupid.....
like i know the stuff too but you're never going to see me walk to a bus yard and drive a bus away. You don't have the skill or competence required to do it. So why bother and get into trouble..

#488 vivablue5215

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

like i know the stuff too but you're never going to see me walk to a bus yard and drive a bus away. You don't have the skill or competence required to do it. So why bother and get into trouble..

Unfortunately that's not the first time that happened; some HK transitfans are known to pull actions such as those. If I remember correctly the fire at Tin Shui Wai years back (or at least a major fire) was also caused by rowdy transitfans wanting to set buses on fire.

#489 Neoupa2002

• 495 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Unfortunately that's not the first time that happened; some HK transitfans are known to pull actions such as those. If I remember correctly the fire at Tin Shui Wai years back (or at least a major fire) was also caused by rowdy transitfans wanting to set buses on fire.

If you're that diehard into buses, I'm not surprised that you wouldn't want to find out how to start up and drive a bus...
Retired piano player.

#490 Enviro 500

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

The tension among transit fans in Hong Kong is heating up to an unprecedented scale! THIS is what happened last Sunday, when Volvo Olympian bus S3V27 (GL390) made the last "hot-dog" journey on line 30X:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

The whole story went like this: false rumors were spread about bus S3V27 was allegedly running behind schedule on line 5A before the night tripper on line 30X, which led many fans to think that the bus would deadhead NIS to one of the stops along the route to begin service, as opposed to entering service at the Whampao Garden terminus as scheduled. As soon as that rumor became blown out of proportion, this is what happened at the Whampao Garden terminus shortly before the scheduled departure at 1920:

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

In this video, a sizable group of fans were running (to where?! Only they would know :P ) while another group rushed to board the soon-to-depart Wright Explorer on line 212 in order to catch up to the particular stop of which S3V27 would allegedly begin service from.

Of course.......Murphy's Law kicked in and those who ignored the rumor prevailed, and those who tried to score themselves better chances of getting onto the last hot-dog run ended up shooting themselves in their feet! :P Bus S3V27 showed up at Whampao Garden precisely at 1920 as scheduled, and departed with full standing load. As soon as the 100% filled bus showed up at the stop along the route with another couple dozens of fans waiting anxiously to board, the "leftover" bunch became uncontrollably enraged, and went as far as activating the emergency switch of the rear exit to board illegally, pound on the bus, yell out profanities.......and when all measures failed to coerce the driver to allow them onboard, desperate times called for desperate last-ditch measures: they stood in front of the bus and attempted to blockade the bus from leaving!

Shame on this bunch of idiots, this incident made its way into many local newspapers the following day, such as this particular one bearing the headline of "transit-fans gone wild, rushed into middle of main streets to blockade traffic". In the article itself, the writer stressed on the usage of profanities and outrageous actions that would be considered as unlawful and dangerous to public safety.

As a result, KMB announced yesterday that THE official last day of "hot dog" service in Hong Kong is slated for May 9th, Wednesday. Line 1A, 32M, 39A and 40 will be devoid of hot dogs by May 7th, while line 5A, 16, 93K and 98A will be done by May 9th, therefore putting an end to the days of "sitting on buses on hot days and sweating like dogs"! This plan was fast-forwarded by nearly two weeks, as the original plan of pulling hot dogs from service was originally planned for May 20th according to a group of "knowledgeable local fans".

Dave

Posted Image

#491 vivablue5215

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Man, these people are literally a different breed.

There were two transitfans waiting with me at Tsuen Wan West last week for the hot dog on the 39A, and when it came one of them almost knocked me down while I was photographing and went straight for the door and boarded (did I mention there was a line?). The second one shouted to the driver how he wanted to hug the bus and how KMB should be ridiculed in retiring the hot dogs so fast. It ended up being somewhat of a shouting match before I decided to leave to avoid all this nonsense.

As much as I'm sad these things are going, I'm somewhat happy as well as the transitfans here really need to take a chill pill and see reality that they're gonna go sooner or later. Now I've realized now how much more professional and mature transitfans are in Canada (well this board at least) compared to other parts of the world, as at least we would accept the truth particularly in the GTA when the Fishbowls were all gone, and even the last run we didn't tear the bus apart and inconvenience other passengers just because we didn't wanna see a bus retired.

#492 A. Wong

• Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 17,254 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

Holy, people need to calm down...

Posted Image
Nova Bus | Driven by your city

#493 Neoupa2002

• 495 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

This is a total memory throwback for me, the 30X was my most ridden route in HK because my grandparents from both sides of my family lived exactly at each of the terminals of the route.

Gonna miss riding that route in a hot dog, that 45 minute journey in hot wind is pretty unforgettable :P

And those videos give me quite a refresher of how the neighbourhood looks like now ^_^ ...haven't been back for like quite a few years.
Retired piano player.

#494 wchu94

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

https://www.youtube....feature=related
---Apple Daily

animals.

#495 wchu94

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

Apple Daily news on Route 1A hot dog bus run....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFnD4g4vZ-4&list=UUeqUUXaM75wrK5Aalo6UorQ&index=7&feature=plcp

#496 vivablue5215

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

That's it guys, as of this minute the hot dogs are no more, and the whole Hong Kong bus fleet is now air-conditioned. However, the hot dogs did not go without a bang, with 20 of the 23 remaining ones seeing service at some point yesterday on either the 5A, 16, 93K, or 98A.

The amount of media and transitfans covering the last day of hot dogs was significant, with TVB having it as their top news story. Particularly on line 16 there was a gathering of about, and I'm not exaggerating, 350 transitfans taking photos of the hot dogs coming in at Kwong Tin Estate. At one point all four midday hot dogs on line 16 were at Kwong Tin, which drove the enthusiast crowd to some high drug never seen before.

There was another crowd of about 80-100 waiting at Star Ferry for the three dogs that showed up on the 5A in the afternoon, mixed with some tourists (including two caucasian ones who casually walked by and asked us what the significance of the "red and yellow" buses were, and if they were similar to London's Routemasters!).

Overall, this was definitely the most exciting, intensive, stressful, tiring, and exhilarating transitfanning event I've ever been part of, and it was worth every penny of being able to come to Hong Kong for this historic day. I would like to especially thank Enviro 500 for the insider info he gave me from the Hong Kong forums, which made everything fell in place perfectly today.

Without further ado, here are the photos from the last day, with all four midday buses on line 16 and all three PM rush buses on line 5A.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#497 Neoupa2002

• 495 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

That's it guys, as of this minute the hot dogs are no more, and the whole Hong Kong bus fleet is now air-conditioned. However, the hot dogs did not go without a bang, with 20 of the 23 remaining ones seeing service at some point yesterday on either the 5A, 16, 93K, or 98A.

The amount of media and transitfans covering the last day of hot dogs was significant, with TVB having it as their top news story. Particularly on line 16 there was a gathering of about, and I'm not exaggerating, 350 transitfans taking photos of the hot dogs coming in at Kwong Tin Estate. At one point all four midday hot dogs on line 16 were at Kwong Tin, which drove the enthusiast crowd to some high drug never seen before.

There was another crowd of about 80-100 waiting at Star Ferry for the three dogs that showed up on the 5A in the afternoon, mixed with some tourists (including two caucasian ones who casually walked by and asked us what the significance of the "red and yellow" buses were, and if they were similar to London's Routemasters!).

Overall, this was definitely the most exciting, intensive, stressful, tiring, and exhilarating transitfanning event I've ever been part of, and it was worth every penny of being able to come to Hong Kong for this historic day. I would like to especially thank Enviro 500 for the insider info he gave me from the Hong Kong forums, which made everything fell in place perfectly today.

Without further ado, here are the photos from the last day, with all four midday buses on line 16 and all three PM rush buses

Whats up with the destination signs for route 16? Can the sign not fit in the slot or something?
Retired piano player.

#498 vivablue5215

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 10,150 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

Whats up with the destination signs for route 16? Can the sign not fit in the slot or something?

Dunno, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they took the slot out already in preparation for retirement.

By the way, the last hot dog in service to arrive back in the garage was S3N369.

#499 Neoupa2002

• 495 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Dunno, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they took the slot out already in preparation for retirement.

By the way, the last hot dog in service to arrive back in the garage was S3N369.

Well that doesn't really make sense...since all the hot dogs on the 5A appear to fit both Star Ferry and Kowloon City (which is probably way bigger for a destination sign)...

But then again, they look like they're from different depots...so different "quirks" to their buses?
Retired piano player.

#500 Cathay 888

• Cathay 888, you're clear to land runway 26 right

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:56 AM

The last ad-wrap on the hot dogs - Hong Kong, Asia's World City (Wrapped at 1 Nov 2011 - retired), it's more unique for the hot dog to promo Hong Kong as well, all these pic taken at TST Star Ferry~~

S3N351 / GA1614

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

S3N369 / GA6324

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

:) :)

Cathay 888 - VHHH - CYVR - KJFK
Equipment: Boeing 777-300ER
Departure/Arrival time: [Summer]VHHH-CYVR (0030/2125 -1), CYVR-KJFK (2250/0700 +1)
[Winter]VHHH-CYVR (0100/2030 -1), CYVR-KJFK (2155/0610 +1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users