1. That Council enter into a three -year pilot project agreement, with the Regional Municipality of Niagara, to provide inter - municipal public transportation.
2. That Council approve the purchase of three Orion transit coaches, funded from a Region of Niagara Grant, for inter - municipal service.
3. That Council approve the purchase of two Orion buses, funded from Provincial Gas Tax Subsidy, which will be utilized for our municipal service.
4. That RFP #P19 -2010, for the Supply of five Buses be awarded to Orion.
5. That the Mayor and City Clerk be authorized to execute the necessary agreement.
A Request for Proposal was issued, resulting in three vendors responding to the RFP; NovaBus, New Flyer and Orion. The prices (not including taxes) submitted by the proponents (per bus), are as follows;
New Flyer $428,000.00
The budgeted cost for the municipal bus purchase is $480,000.00 per bus. This amount is included in the 2010 Capital budget. Therefore, staff recommends Orion, being the low bidder, be awarded the contract to supply five, forty -foot, low floor accessible buses equipped with bike racks. In addition, these buses will also be equipped with new fare boxes, a stop announcement system, and GPS hardware at an additional upset cost of $30,000 per bus.