Photo

Buses Through The Lens

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

#1 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

I wanted to inform everyone that I have started my own business. Its called Buses Through The Lens.

I am taking HD quality videos and pictures of transit vehicles, terminals, etc...and I am also selling merchandise: DVD's (HD Quality), mousepads, tshirts,etc.

If interested in making a purchase. Send me a PM or check out my website
Posted Image

#2 D40LF

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

I wanted to inform everyone that I have started my own business. Its called Buses Through The Lens.

I am taking HD quality videos and pictures of transit vehicles, terminals, etc...and I am also selling merchandise: DVD's (HD Quality), mousepads, tshirts,etc.

If interested in making a purchase. Send me a PM or check out my website

http://www.wix.com/b...hroughthelens/1

Just to let you know that there are transit agencies that dont allow photography for commercial purposes. You selling your photos could cause issues down the road.

#3 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Just to let you know that there are transit agencies that dont allow photography for commercial purposes. You selling your photos could cause issues down the road.

1) thats if im selling to media...which im not... my videos are like home videos that I am only selling to other transit buffs...they are not to be used for commericial purposes and I have advised the transit agengcies that any buses filmed would not be for commericial purposes....its just like a home made movie featuring buses....So I believe there wont be an issue...again as I said IT IS ONLY BEING SOLD TO TRANSIT ENTHUSIASTS ONLY...No one else...I have done my research
Posted Image

#4 C. Chau

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

1) thats if im selling to media...which im not... my videos are like home videos that I am only selling to other transit buffs...they are not to be used for commericial purposes and I have advised the transit agengcies that any buses filmed would not be for commericial purposes....its just like a home made movie featuring buses....So I believe there wont be an issue...again as I said IT IS ONLY BEING SOLD TO TRANSIT ENTHUSIASTS ONLY...No one else...I have done my research

...but it's still FOR SALE (no matter to who), which constitutes as "commercial purposes".

#5 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

then what do you propose...people have made transit dvds before....people do it for trains all the time,...I will take my chance...I have asked always for permission...if i find a transit authority that says no...then I wont film them or take any photos....if they say ok then i will video and photo their buses....i have always asked for permission and usually i do get permission
Posted Image

#6 RailBus63

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

The transit agency has nothing to say about the matter if the video or images were taken from a public street.

#7 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Mine were mostly taken from public street except subway shots
Posted Image

#8 Guest_NiagaraRailfan_*

• Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

The transit agency has nothing to say about the matter if the video or images were taken from a public street.

Amen, its public property so they cant do anything I could imagine on private property of course he will ask for their permission.

#9 captaintrolley

• All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

• 15,621 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

Living off the avails of Bustitution? :P

I'd be careful, the transit companies won't like you making money off this. Unless you donate the money to their 'Donate - A - Ride' or some similar campaign.

Anyhow, tread carefully, you may be getting yourself in some tangled overhead.

#10 Kit Kat

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 3,941 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'll stick to youtube thank you very much :P
ohyeareallytrollallthetime.

#11 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

well 50% will be going to a charity here in Durham Region just dunno which one yet...so there are good intentions
Posted Image

#12 MCW Metrobus

• Asian Fan Boy Wannabe

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

again as I said IT IS ONLY BEING SOLD TO TRANSIT ENTHUSIASTS ONLY...No one else...I have done my research

So you put your customers through a screening process before you agree to sell them anything, to make sure they're "real" transit enthusiasts?

I was asked by an industry coworker several weeks ago if I had ever considered using my photos to make money in any way, shape or form, even something as subtle as putting Google ads on my website. My reaction to this was that I didn't want to run the risk of ending up in a "gray area" between personal and commercial use, or to have any of my photos be subjected to a judgment call (which may differ between myself and other parties) as to whether they were taken on public property or private property. My issue with the latter is that I have shot many photos and videos on both public and private property, and that judgment call could be made for any single one of my thousands of individual works. That's something I'd rather not have to deal with.
George Prior (MCW Metrobus)
Posted Image

#13 Guest_NiagaraRailfan_*

• Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

So you put your customers through a screening process before you agree to sell them anything, to make sure they're "real" transit enthusiasts?

I was asked by an industry coworker several weeks ago if I had ever considered using my photos to make money in any way, shape or form, even something as subtle as putting Google ads on my website. My reaction to this was that I didn't want to run the risk of ending up in a "gray area" between personal and commercial use, or to have any of my photos be subjected to a judgment call (which may differ between myself and other parties) as to whether they were taken on public property or private property. My issue with the latter is that I have shot many photos and videos on both public and private property, and that judgment call could be made for any single one of my thousands of individual works. That's something I'd rather not have to deal with.

Okay to put this straight everyone. I am a professional Rail photographer, I sell and record and make dvd's I sell them to train people, railfans, conductors and engineers all over Ontario and USA. I know what you guys are going not getting Trevor into trouble but really hes doing the same thing as me, CSX, NS, CN, CP, UP, BNSF never have a problem with them, GO I still sell them. I cant be on a platform according to GO Officers but out in the country sure I can take as many as I can because was taken on public property. They cant take these away. They said ask GO to sell them when really you dont have to because I am not on their land they owned. Sure some companies are really B*tchy about this topic but really I think its perfectly normal to take videos and photos and sell them, doesnt everyone do that, take pictures or videos and sell them?

I dont wanna be kicked off for this but its the truth, I sell my stuff to railfans and Trevor who is my wonderful fiance is amazing at this and he deserves to sell them. Non of the videos you can see the faces of the drivers or at least 1 spit second of seeing it but its all like dark as heck you cant see them just the mouth like thats it.

This picture I find is fine I am sharing no picture of the bus driver

#14 Bus_Medic

• Bitchslapping uninformed opinion since 2007

• 6,966 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

This doesn't pass the smell test.
Problem?

#15 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Well I will figure out something to sell only to transit fans
Posted Image

#16 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

An update...I still have Vol I of my dvd in HD..Transit CANUSA available featuring buses that are on the road and vehicles that are now retired...foootage is from Erie,PA,Buffalo,NY,St Catharines,Niagara Falls, Burlington, TTC, Mi Way,DRT, GO Transit and Sault Ste Marie....featuring GMC New looks, MCI Classics,etc...the DVD is $5+tax with free shipping (paypal accepted) also Tshirts are $15 (S,M,L)+TAX and $20 for XL,XXL +TAX...PM me with your email if you would like photos to choose from for a Tshirt including a 1968 GMC New Look from NFTA-Metro

Like Us on Facebook...Buses Through The Lens
Posted Image

#17 leylandvictory2

• @lex

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

An update...I still have Vol I of my dvd in HD..Transit CANUSA available featuring buses that are on the road and vehicles that are now retired...foootage is from Erie,PA,Buffalo,NY,St Catharines,Niagara Falls, Burlington, TTC, Mi Way,DRT, GO Transit and Sault Ste Marie....featuring GMC New looks, MCI Classics,etc...the DVD is $5+tax with free shipping (paypal accepted) also Tshirts are $15 (S,M,L)+TAX and $20 for XL,XXL +TAX...PM me with your email if you would like photos to choose from for a Tshirt including a 1968 GMC New Look from NFTA-Metro

http://www.wix.com/b...hroughthelens/1

Like Us on Facebook...Buses Through The Lens

nice website. BTW you spell the word "accepted" wrong on http://www.wix.com/busesthroughthelens/1#!merchandise

yrtbanner.jpg

@lex Lee, webmaster of Public Transit World Last updatgreen.gif August 18, 2014

Massive updates!!!  Please note the website has moved to www.publictransitworld.0catch.com or use http://stop.to/busstop 

#18 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

oops...your right...ill fix it tonight LOL thanx for the point out...
Posted Image

#19 t_harris01

• 1,483 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Update: Currently working on the 2nd DVD....this will feature Hamilton, GRT, Guelph, Sarnia, London, Port Huron, MI, and during the summer will be going to Erie, PA (again) Hershey/Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and Rochester to get their systems in photos and videos. The DVD will be high quality.

I am having a quarterly newsletter...If interested PM me or email busesthroughthelens@hotmail.com

My 1st DVD is still available for sale $5+TAX (Free Shipping to Canada, $5 to the US) PAYPAL ACCEPTED...
Tshirts are also available: $15+tax S,M,L and $20+tax XL,XXL,XXXL...PM me your email for the ppictures you can choose from for a tshirt... The vehicles that you can choose from are Orions, New Flyers, Gilligs, MCI and Nova Bus Classics, Nova Bus LFS...

or like up on facebook: Buses Through the Lens
Posted Image

#20 323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

• Swag Man

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Just curious here, but do you know what kind of imprint method is used for your t-shirts?

Posted Image

BusShots Canada, Photos & Apparel Sales

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users