MVTA

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MVTArider

• Reporting From the Twin Cities

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I decided it's about time I started a separate thread for MVTA related stuff instead of mixing it into the Metro Transit one.

It looks like the official name of the NovaBus model purchased for the Metro Red BRT service will indeed be the LFX, (and not LFS with BRT styling options) even though they are the 40' model:

New partnership between MVTA and Nova Bus
MVTA has opted for the LFX Smart Bus, which includes the Nova eCooling system, the Nova Bus proprietary integrated electric engine cooling that can improve fuel economy by up to 18%. The stainless steel structure designed for highly variable operating conditions was also a must for MVTA to handle Minnesota’s climate.
(Image)
For its BRT services, MVTA and its partners wanted sleek curb appeal with the ability to quickly handle large passenger loads at elevated platforms. The single roofline, flush windows, new interior design and large capacity doors of the Nova LFX represented an ideal match. The selected configuration features disc brakes, composite flooring and all LED lighting options for improved safety and cost savings. The addition of larger windows, clear escape hatches and LCD screens enhance the customer experience and provide greater opportunities for additional marketing revenues.
(Rendering of unit in the new Regional Metro System scheme)
"The MVTA is very excited to add this bus to our fleet. We believe it will be well received by our station-to- station BRT customers, providing a great ride on this new type of service," said MVTA Chair Gary Hansen of Eagan.
The buses will be assembled in Nova Bus’ Upstate New York plant and delivered in the fall of 2012.

About Nova Bus
Nova Bus is a leading provider of sustainable transit solutions in North America, including hybrid buses, high-capacity vehicles and integrated intelligent transportation systems. The company relies on a team driven by the challenges of public transit with regard to mobility, safety, and productivity. Nova Bus is part of the Volvo Bus Corporation. For more information regarding Nova Bus products and services, plese visit www.novabus.com

J. Mc -
Likes; buses, streetcars, subways, rapid transit, watching the Simpsons,
Dislikes; Cul-de-sacs, racism, turtlenecks
Fun fact: Eats way too many donuts

TheTransitCamera: PHOTOS - VIDEOS - BLOG

#2 thehartfordboy

• 71 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

I decided it's about time I started a separate thread for MVTA related stuff instead of mixing it into the Metro Transit one.

It looks like the official name of the NovaBus model purchased for the Metro Red BRT service will indeed be the LFX, (and not LFS with BRT styling options) even though they are the 40' model:

The doors wouldn't be like that. It will be standard black unless Metro does paint job after delivery.

#3 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

I forgot to look at the current MVTA newsletter before, Gillig BRTs 4250-4251+ should be in revenue service this month. (Still not sure if it's two or four) They have the new roof enclosure styling as well, despite being diesel.

The doors wouldn't be like that. It will be standard black unless Metro does paint job after delivery.

They'll probably do a paint job after delivery then.
J. Mc -

#4 BCT-3122-D800-10240

• Bus Operator

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 16,293 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

They'll probably do a paint job after delivery then.

Or would it be a wrap style job and not paint?

#5 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Or would it be a wrap style job and not paint?

I don't know, since it's part of the livery something like a permanent wrap could be likely. Although if the doors are supposed to be yellow I don't see why Nova can't just put yellow doors on in the first place anyways. Gillig and New Flyer don't seem to have any problems with adding color to doors.

----
4250 and 4251 are now in service, I believe 4495 and 4497 have been returned to MTS for disposal.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

D35LF 4121-4126 are now the oldest active units in the fleet. They are now mostly operated as spares for the larger cutaways, or the 35' Gilligs on weekends. I rode 4122 yesterday, still in good shape overall but it had a bit of a shudder when it was stopping/stopped. They were actually built in early 2002 so they'll probably be in service until 2014 or perhaps 2015.
J. Mc -

#6 septa105R5/seClip9

• Transit Member Representative from Suburb Area of Southeast PA

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 959 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

They looked great with those roof coverings.
Videos from Southeastern Pennsylvania.
See my videos on youtube channel as seClip9.

http://www.youtube.com/user/seClip9

Sample pictures of transits that serves my suburb and city area as well as transit into New Jersey. Check out my photos by clicking in any one of it. You can also see my pictures at Philadelphia Transit Vehicles as well.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

The LFX will be in production from June 27th-July 19th at Plattsburgh.

The ARBOCs need side destination signs to be compliant with ADA, as they're longer than 25'. I believe they are not yet delivered.

http://www.mvta.com/...ard_packet.html

Also the new Apple Valley Transit Station will reopen July 14th.
J. Mc -

#8 Tcmetro

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

I wonder when those LFX will arrive... It will be nice to see something new in the Twin Cities!

#9 Benjamin

• 459 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Could someone please tell me whether or not the 2003 MVTA Gillig Advantages (4300 series) use Cummins ISC (not ISL) engines? I know they were the first buses for MVTA to use Voith transmissions (model D864.3E).

The 4400 series New Flyer D40LF's (built in 2004) have the ISL/D864.3E, as do the 4500 series Gillig Advantages (built in 2005) and the 4600 series New Flyer D40LF's (built 2006).

The 2007 and '09 Gillig Advantages (4700 and 4900 series, respectively) use the larger Cummins ISM engines, and Voith D864.5 transmissions.

Thank you,

Ben (ClassicBusFan81)

Edited by Benjamin, 09 October 2012 - 07:26 PM.

#10 Andru

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

A photo of a MVTA LFX undergoing assembly has been posted on the BRT Q&A Page of their website. I have no idea how long ago this was posted.

#11 bradfordbrian

• 139 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Too bad they didn't go with artics. The LFSA is the smoothest riding artic there is.

#12 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

The LFX are in, also a media powwow of some sort is planned for December 5th at AVTS. Details have yet to be worked out. The current newsletter covers this, however it's not online at this time.

With the December 8th service changes all St. Paul routes will start/end at the SPUD.
J. Mc -

#13 patfromigh

• 59 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

They had the media event on December 10th. They wanted to wait until the weather was miserable.

Attached File  RedLine1.jpg   92.56KB   63 downloads

Apple Valley Mayor Mary Hamann-Roland, left, and Ed Kearney, president of the Apple Valley Chamber of Commerce, try out a bike rack on one of the new buses that will run on the Cedar Avenue Bus Rapid Transit line. The buses began arriving in November, and the line is due to open next spring. (Staff photo: Bill Klotz)

Read more: http://finance-comme.../#ixzz2Ekr8dLTL

Attached File  RedLine2.jpg   88.76KB   81 downloads

Officials unveiled one of the new buses that will run on the Cedar Avenue Bus Rapid Transit line between Apple Valley and Bloomington on Monday. The buses began to arrive November, and will go into service when the BRT line opens next spring. (Staff photo: Bill Klotz)

Read more: http://finance-comme.../#ixzz2EkrGXm53

#14 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

Metropolitan council article along with a video showing the interior of the bus can be seen here: http://www.metrocoun...eEventDec14.htm
J. Mc -

#15 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

METRO Red service starts JUNE 22nd!!!

http://www.mvta.com/...o_red_line.html

June 22 Launch Date Set for METRO Red Line

The Cedar Avenue/Highway 77 corridor is one of the busiest roads in the state – each day, about 90,000 motorists cross the Minnesota River on the road, and about 70,000 cars travel through the intersection with County Road 42 in Apple Valley. Express bus service in the corridor carries nearly 650,000 riders annually. The new Red Line service will provide an additional option for commuters and other travelers to move between the communities in the corridor and the region at-large.
The METRO Red Line will travel on bus-only shoulder lanes constructed with the roadway improvements along Cedar Avenue. Buses will operate every 15 minutes during peak travel periods, from approximately 5 a.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday, and 7:30 a.m. to midnight, Saturday and Sunday. Buses will serve each station with level boarding, real-time signs, and other transit advantages, much like service on the METRO Blue Line (Hiawatha LRT).
While express bus routes will remain the same, local bus service provided by the Minnesota Valley Transit Authority (MVTA) will be restructured in conjunction with the launch of Red Line service to enhance connections with the line.
The Red Line results from a long-time collaboration of many agencies in the region, including the Metropolitan Council, Dakota County and its regional railroad authority, MVTA, Metro Transit, the Counties Transit Improvement Board (CTIB), the Minnesota Department of Transportation, the Mall of America, and the cities of Lakeville, Eagan, Apple Valley, and Bloomington, as well as local businesses in communities near the corridor.
Funding for the project has come from federal, state, and regional funds; CTIB; Dakota County; Apple Valley and Lakeville.
“Setting a firm date for the launch of the METRO Red Line is the culmination of a lot of work by a lot of people from many different agencies,” said Dakota County Board Chair Kathleen Gaylord. “But this service—station-to-station, bus rapid transit on Cedar Avenue, the first in Minnesota—is Dakota County’s baby. Our vision has always been that this will slow the growth of congestion on one of the busiest roads in the south metro. It will give our residents mobility options; and it will be good for business.”
Communities will plan events to help celebrate the launch of the new service, including a period of time to ride the METRO Red Line for free.
The MVTA will operate the Red Line service.

Fact sheet

J. Mc -

#16 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Ride METRO Red (2012 Nova Bus LFX), Cummins ISL9, Voith D864.5

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I'm planning on getting more photos next week, when there aren't all the opening day crowds in the way.
J. Mc -

#17 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

Here are a few more photos from yesterday, also I saw one of the new ARBOC units, looks like 4259-4262.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
J. Mc -

#18 MAX BRT

• 1,623 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

D---! The Twin Cities gets all the good stuff.

I love this bus interior, wheels, paint scheme and rear.

Whats the deal with no rear destination sign? Also, I think the bus should be mostly red if its exclusively for the Red line.

#19 huz66511

• 287 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

Any chance of posting a current fleet roster? Thanks!
The junk I used to drive!

#20 MVTArider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:39 AM

Any chance of posting a current fleet roster? Thanks!

http://cptdb.ca/wiki...#Current_Roster
J. Mc -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users