Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority LRV's

M. Parsons

Two questions I hope someone might be able to answer:

1. The UTDC LRV's that where originally operated... Can anyone provide some history behind these cars? Why did VTA purchase these cars in the first place, as opposed to, say, Siemen's or Bombardier cars? Do these cars have much, or anything, in common with CLRV's or ALRV's? (ie proplusion system)

2. These cars have of course all been replaced. I believe they were sold to Sacramento and Salt Lake City. Does anyone know the status of these cars in these cities? Have any entered service in these cities yet?

Thanks!

Well..

Since the vehicles were built by UTDC, I would assume that they have some common components with the CLRVs, and ALRVs. The original CLRVs were designed for the Scarborough Rapid LRT line before the government convinced the TTC to build their prototype ICTS system.

Fron what I have read from LRT sites, the UTDC vehicles were well designed. When VTA sold them, they were in excellent shape. RTA(Sacramento), and UTA got a great deal on these vehicles, so I would assume they are in service.. They were only 18 years old when they were sold, and we know rail vehicles can last far longer than that.

Personally, I think VTA was a liitle hasty in getting rid of those LRVs, and buying low floor LRV's. I have visited San Jose last year, and from what I have seen, there is little need for low floor LRV's in the San Jose area. Most of the residents I noticied were young families, and bachelors. Add to the fact, that the economy in the area is still recovering from the Tech bubble burst. VTA could have saved a lot of money by keeping the UTDC cars, and buying fewew Kinky Sharyo LRVs.

• 2 months later...

The UTDC LRV's that ended up in Sacramento continue to sit on the same yard track's they were rolled onto when they were delivered from VTA several years ago. I'm a LRV operator at Sacramento Regional Transit, and back a little more than 2 years ago new Operators were trained on VTA cars along with our Siemens and CAF cars. Now, new operators are trained on CAF and Siemens only, as the VTA LRV's continue to rust and dust in the yard.

I read in some budget documents that Sacramento Regional Transit District has been selling parts to other transit districts that use the UTDC LRV's, which I find interesting due to the expansion and demand that Sacramento Light Rail has realized.

Here are a few pictures of the UTDC/VTA LRV's in the Sacramento Metro Yard.

320835916_0f351bc8eb_o.jpg

VTA LRV's on Yard track 1, 2, and 3

320835935_e8c97cb0fc_o.jpg

VTA LRV photographed in December 2006

320835967_844849d292_o.jpg

VTA LRV in Sacramento Regional Transit livery.

The UTDC LRV's that ended up in Sacramento continue to sit on the same yard track's they were rolled onto when they were delivered from VTA several years ago. I'm a LRV operator at Sacramento Regional Transit, and back a little more than 2 years ago new Operators were trained on VTA cars along with our Siemens and CAF cars. Now, new operators are trained on CAF and Siemens only, as the VTA LRV's continue to rust and dust in the yard.

I read in some budget documents that Sacramento Regional Transit District has been selling parts to other transit districts that use the UTDC LRV's, which I find interesting due to the expansion and demand that Sacramento Light Rail has realized.

Thanks for the pics and welcome to the board! ;)

Just an update on the UTDC VTA Car's in Sacramento. Kinda funny we had been talking about them....

Yesterday, I noticed that maintenance had pulled a 2 car consist into the heavy repair building. Of course they had to use the UniMog, but hope may be near that we get to drive them in service at some point.

• 2 years later...

HI I am a UTA rider and have information on VTA's LRV's When they arrived on the system i belive in 2005 to expand UTA's fleet of LRV's for the new university line in Salt Lake City some of them got repainted but most of them just had a sticker put over the VTA logo You cant tell the difference because the paint is this same pattern as UTA's. (red and Blue lines). But these are the LRV's that are breaking down and the population of these LRV's is getting smaller. and i dont exepect to see them around in the next 3 yrs. as uta purchesses more new LRV's for the preperation for the mid-jordan line - 2011, West Valley Line - 2012, Airport line - 2013 and the Draper Line in 2015