RÉGÎM (Régie intermunicipale de transport Gaspésie – Îles-de-la-Madeleine)

webfil

Régim has a new website. I am ever positively surprised by that rural NGO.

http://regim.info

http://www.regim.info/system/wp-content/themes/mlog_regim/images/carte-trajets.svg

They are also introducing a network map, and their Google Transit Feed is pending integration to Google Maps.

Some people in the far east are working hard to make transit viable - and it seems to work!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Everyone: I'm not sure if this should've went into Atlantic Canada Transit Discussion, Québec Transit Discussion, or even Marine Transportation Discussion, but anyways... I'm the main concered here, since I live on the Magdalen Islands... There is also a bus system, which sucks... We're in a no LFS zone, which is rare in Québec... Could somebody on here confirm which brand of minibuses are there in RéGîM (which is called "RéGîM" because there's a diet (régime) on bus service)? I'm not too sure, but Autobus des Sillons has some Blue Bird minibuses leased to RéGîM... I think the RéGîM minibuses are Dodge (RAM?) buses... Could someone confirm, please? Thanks. -Oli

I don't know the exact fleet of every subcontractor, but RéGÎM says the majority of there fleet are Girardin G5.
Dodge Ram cutaway minibus are quite uncommon; it is fairly more plausible that if ever Les Sillons have a Dodge fleet, they would be Fiat Ducato or Mercedes Sprinter chassis, with a Dodge rebranding. That would be a surprise, as those two models are rarely used in Québec for transit vehicles. Autobus M.A. Poirier, who used to operate RéGÎM (aren't they still doing it?) services have a fleet of Ford cutaways. If you come up with a picture, that would help.
Also, LFS are a rare sight in rural transit. Besides PLUmobile and Transcollines, whose structures are akin to rural transit but services aimed at commuting, I don't know of any rural carrier operating or subcontracting with LFS.
In anyways, I don't agree RéGÎM "sucks". It remains a rural transportation service. Its governance is innovative, allowing the community to organize its own transportation services and raise a special tax (half of its income come from taxes, only a quarter from subsidies) in order to give its whole population a decent mobility. Keep in mind that les Îles have sparse settlement, and that 8 daily departures in such isolated area is surprising, and more comparable to well-served sparse communities of central Europe than rural North America.
Besides its structure, RéGÎM has excellent communication services : easy-to-understand schedules, clever personel, network map (!), multiple service centres, a clear and accessible website (! bis), real-time network status info via multiple platforms (!!!!!) and Google Transit Feed in update queue (!!!!!!!!). The customer satisfaction rate is sky-rocketing, with 92% of the users "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with the schedule, and 99% of them "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with fares, drivers' politeness and vehicles confort. RéGÎM served last year 10% of gaspésien and madelinot workforce (incl. unemployed, students, etc.), which is absolutely unprecedented in contemporary Québec rural transit!
Maybe are you from the 10% of gaspésiens/madelinots to whom the schedules are the main obstacle to the use of their services?

@webfil: Not too sure for the bus model's company, but I saw one earlier this afternoon and (I think) it was a Ford. For the RéGÎM subcontractor, I think either Les Sillons, M.A. Poirier, or even /both/ is/are the subcontractor(s). I'm not familiar with the bus system on les Îles, but there's a stop at about 250 feet from home and I almost never saw a RéGÎM bus there (or maybe I am always on my 3DS, not looking for the buses). I saw two or three buses in a row earlier this afternoon, though; it was maybe for all the routes indicated on @ghYHZ's brochure. @ghYHZ, interesting brochure; where did you find it? I found none at all... Is it in Centre d'Achat Place des Îles (1101, Chemin de la Vernière) or is it at another place, or even directly at RéGÎM (330, Chemin Principal, Cap-aux-Meules)? I need one. Thanks. -Olivier

UPDATE: I'm still not sure about the bus model that we have here, but I saw 1501 and 1502 of RéGÎM recently, and I think the numbering system is the same as Réseau de Transport de la Capitale... It's kinda obvious, since those two buses were kinda shiny... They should put letters, though, e.g., an Îles de la Madeleine garage bus would get a M (for "Madelinot", or "Madeleine"), and a Gaspé garage bus would get a G (for "Gaspé"). It's my two cents on that. -Oli

UPDATE: I'm still not sure about the bus model that we have here, but I saw 1501 and 1502 of RéGÎM recently, and I think the numbering system is the same as Réseau de Transport de la Capitale... It's kinda obvious, since those two buses were kinda shiny... They should put letters, though, e.g., an Îles de la Madeleine garage bus would get a M (for "Madelinot", or "Madeleine"), and a Gaspé garage bus would get a G (for "Gaspé"). It's my two cents on that. -Oli

It does not work like that. RéGÎM does not manage the fleet, but rather the services. RéGÎM gives contracts to 8 different companies, with 8 different fleets, thus 8 different numbering schemes. Numbering is for internal purposes, not for the pleasure of the geek.

A uniform route numbering system for the whole region is a major plus for the user, but I hardly see how a uniform fleet numbering could serve any purpose with the actual subcontracting.