Tempo Cars

M. Parsons

Just wondering if anyone might be able to provide any information/ history on the Tempo cars that CN/ VIA Rail operated?

I believe they were built in the mid to late 1960's?

Why didn't VIA Rail hang onto them longer? Although, I can only assume it has something to do with the budget cuts back in the early 1990's

Thanks in advance

Just wondering if anyone might be able to provide any information/ history on the Tempo cars that CN/ VIA Rail operated?

I believe they were built in the mid to late 1960's?

Why didn't VIA Rail hang onto them longer? Although, I can only assume it has something to do with the budget cuts back in the early 1990's

Thanks in advance

They were, according to the CN/VIA crews I spoke to regarding them, peices of s**t.

I never rode one, but I did inspect four of them at the TMC back in the 90's.

They were built by Hawker Siddley in the 60's. To operate with them CN rebuilt a number of RS-18s as well as several baggage cars as generators because they has a different voltage on the power supply. The generators were used when a loco other than a RS-18m was used.

From my understanding they were mainly retired as being non standard, due to the voltage difference, although the cuts were also a factor.

They were built in 1967-68 on the same basic design as the GO single-level coaches, the NdeM first and second class coaches, the last pair of Governor General's cars, and to a lesser degree, the TTC's subway cars starting with the H1's.

They featured an aluminum body rivetted to a steel underframe, and therein lay the problem. Aluminum does not get along with steel, and so they had corrosion problems whereever the alluminum body met the steel underframe. VIA got rid of them (despite their being the newest equipment save for the LRC's) because they felt that they were too much of a hassle.

They were also disposed of not specifically because of any cuts in service. While they did sit a lot after the 1981 cuts, they were still used somewhat often until their disposal around 1986.

They were built to the same CN 575v standard that the GO equipment still uses, but were converted when the LRC's, which were built at the current 480v standard, started coming online.

John is right about the RS-18's. 5 were rebuilt with longer short-hoods and dual sets of controls, and regeared for 89mph. The 3 baggage cars were rebuilt when two of the RS's were damaged in an accident in the early 1970ies (IIRC) and were rebuilt without them. By this time CN had recieved their GP40's, and the last two were delivered with passenger gearing. These two (4016 and 4017) often found themselves on longer Tempo's and GO trains when GO needed the help.

Dan

There is at least one in Northern Quebec as well, although I can't find it in my most recent CTG.

The four that were still on VIA property until at least 1998 were, IIRC, scrapped.

And the two former GG cars were very recently scrapped by a local rail equipment dealer.

Dan

They were built in 1967-68 on the same basic design as the GO single-level coaches, the NdeM first and second class coaches, the last pair of Governor General's cars, and to a lesser degree, the TTC's subway cars starting with the H1's.

They featured an aluminum body rivetted to a steel underframe, and therein lay the problem. Aluminum does not get along with steel, and so they had corrosion problems whereever the alluminum body met the steel underframe. VIA got rid of them (despite their being the newest equipment save for the LRC's) because they felt that they were too much of a hassle.

They were also disposed of not specifically because of any cuts in service. While they did sit a lot after the 1981 cuts, they were still used somewhat often until their disposal around 1986.

They were built to the same CN 575v standard that the GO equipment still uses, but were converted when the LRC's, which were built at the current 480v standard, started coming online.

John is right about the RS-18's. 5 were rebuilt with longer short-hoods and dual sets of controls, and regeared for 89mph. The 3 baggage cars were rebuilt when two of the RS's were damaged in an accident in the early 1970ies (IIRC) and were rebuilt without them. By this time CN had recieved their GP40's, and the last two were delivered with passenger gearing. These two (4016 and 4017) often found themselves on longer Tempo's and GO trains when GO needed the help.

Dan

Wonderful!!! Thanks!!

There is at least one in Northern Quebec as well, although I can't find it in my most recent CTG.

The four that were still on VIA property until at least 1998 were, IIRC, scrapped.

And the two former GG cars were very recently scrapped by a local rail equipment dealer.

Dan

I think I have a slide or two in my collection of the GG cars. That was actually what brought my question up... I was looking at some scans on a CD of some of the Tempo cars and other VIA equipment, including the GG cars. I really liked the looks of the Tempo cars. I seem to like most of the H-S cars from that time... as you mentioned the GO cars and the H-1's.

There was still one Tempo car that was kicking around the TMC in late 2000. I have a photo of it. From what I heard the tempo cars went to the ski train in exchange for the equipment that it was previously using including two ex D&RG California Zephyr domes Silver Shop (lounge) and Silver Sky (observation lounge). However, VIA never used them in service thanks to the massive 1990 cuts.

Anyways, here's the photo of the Tempo car.

tempo_coach.jpg