Ontario Public Vehicle License Plate

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SMS

• Admin | STM route 804 on Jacques-Cartier Bridge

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

I took this picture at Guelph Transit garage... is it common for old buses to have this plate? When did they phase out this system? I don't remember seeing these on TTC buses.

Attached Files

Vers la qualité à juste prix
STRSM motto

#2 DRT

• East meets West in Whitby

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 876 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:33 PM

I took this picture at Guelph Transit garage... is it common for old buses to have this plate? When did they phase out this system? I don't remember seeing these on TTC buses.

I see those plates on some old DRT buses and other buses from small systems. I don't think they are good for anything now, just certain transit systems don't bother to remove them. (I remember seeing photos of buses in the scapyard with those plates still on). I think the last buses I saw those plates on were 1990's
Durham Region Transit
Connecting Communities

#3 Orion VIII

• High floor buses and high floor buildings

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 11,237 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:55 PM

I think the last year they were applied was 1993, but don't quote me on that.
Posted Image
That moment where the buses are all lined up as if it was a charter.

VISIT MY WEBSITE | VIDEOS

#4 D40LF

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:22 PM

I think the last year they were applied was 1993, but don't quote me on that.

It was around 1993. The last Kingston Transit buses to have them were the 1992 Orion V's.

#5 Orion VIII

• High floor buses and high floor buildings

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 11,237 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:26 PM

It was around 1993. The last Kingston Transit buses to have them were the 1992 Orion V's.

Our last buses with them are the late 1993 Vs, the D60s also had them.
Posted Image
That moment where the buses are all lined up as if it was a charter.

VISIT MY WEBSITE | VIDEOS

#6 general682002

• Grab one, kill everyone!

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 12,423 posts
  • Location:Oakville, ON (Yes, I live in a rich city, which I'm not one of them!)

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

If none of the buses rebuild, they still intact.
More and more transit system are sticking to LF because of economical issues! Where as HF, it will be a rare to see in much future times!

As of April 2009, I have finally rode Nova Classic T-drive, two types of different engine! Which ones is better? Series 50 all the way man!

2011 Charter: Able to manage to attend as there are some good ones to go for!

My Youtube video: www.youtube.com/general682002

My photos: http://www.flickr.co...s/27668078@N07/

#7 Bus_Medic

• Bitchslapping uninformed opinion since 2007

• 7,027 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:27 AM

we did have 'em once upon a time, too
they were likey removed at 6 and 12 time, if not earlier.
Problem?

#8 SMS

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:15 AM

Interesting!

Public Vehicle... does this mean other types of public vehicles had this? I'm thinking along the lines of emergency vehicles... fire, police, ambulance. Or is it just for transit?
STRSM motto

#9 Bus_Medic

• Bitchslapping uninformed opinion since 2007

• 7,027 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:38 AM

Interesting!

Public Vehicle... does this mean other types of public vehicles had this? I'm thinking along the lines of emergency vehicles... fire, police, ambulance. Or is it just for transit?

at the time, i think it was limited to buses, taxis and limos etc. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Problem?

#10 OC 8208

• Help Wanted: Telepath. You know where to apply.

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 533 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:59 AM

i remember em on School buses. tho these were not the plate versions that were/are on taxi's in Ontario Taxi's are plated by each locale... and some aren't even plated. Was a former taxi driver myself
its a shame modern buses aren't fishbowls!

thanks to point55 for the rollsign

#11 Belleville 0457

• 95 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

Interesting!

I believe they were only attached to buses owned by companies who had cross boundary rights or operated inter city charters.
A municipality that only operated it's vehicles within its own boundaries did not need them.
Here in Belleville, Loyalist College was at one time outside the city and the route operated under a PV licence into Sidney Township.
Since amalgamation and expansion the College is now in the city, and the PV is not required.
The truck licence is a PCV but I don't think there is a plate for it.

#12 OC 8208

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 08:14 AM

I wonder since you brought up cross boundry there are initials that commercial vehicles entering quebec need... any one in ottawa notice if PRP is listed along the side of any of the plates on oc transpo... best routes to look at world be any entering quebec.

#13 Kevin L

• CPTDB Wiki Moderator
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

any one in ottawa notice if PRP is listed along the side of any of the plates on oc transpo... best routes to look at world be any entering quebec.

No, even the newest plates don't have PRP.
Posted Image

Visit My Site - Pics & Youtube Videos

#14 Belleville 0457

• 95 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

I wonder since you brought up cross boundry there are initials that commercial vehicles entering quebec need... any one in ottawa notice if PRP is listed along the side of any of the plates on oc transpo... best routes to look at world be any entering quebec.

PRP plates are issued to participants in the International Registration Plan,
only a small number of jursidictions in North America do not participate they are Mexico, Alaska, Yukon, Nunavut, and NWT
PRP plates for trucks are in the series PA-PZ i.e. 792 (Crown)1PA
BP is the letter combination used on prorated bus plates i.e. BP1 (Crown)792.
They would be seen only on intercity coaches that run regular routes.
If I recall most "hounds" carry Alberta plates so Ontario PRP plates on buses are quite a rare sight.

Charter coaches are not required to participate in IRP

#15 TC60102N

• "No Class" indeed!

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

I believe they were only attached to buses owned by companies who had cross boundary rights or operated inter city charters.
A municipality that only operated it's vehicles within its own boundaries did not need them.
Here in Belleville, Loyalist College was at one time outside the city and the route operated under a PV licence into Sidney Township.
Since amalgamation and expansion the College is now in the city, and the PV is not required.
The truck licence is a PCV but I don't think there is a plate for it.

Kitchener Transit had them on buses too for this same reason... Waterloo was too cheap to have their own transit so they mooched off Kitchener Transit and therefore the buses obviously had to cross city limits to get into Waterloo ( and also St.Jacobs Country ). Some of the plates still remain on some of the 8900 Classics and Orions.

Waterloo is STILL mooching off Kitchener AND Cambridge even today with more than transit lol!!
Posted Image

#16 Greater Golden Horseshoe Transit

• Please consider this account permanently inactive.

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 12:10 PM

Kitchener Transit had them on buses too for this same reason... Waterloo was too cheap to have their own transit so they mooched off Kitchener Transit and therefore the buses obviously had to cross city limits to get into Waterloo ( and also St.Jacobs Country ). Some of the plates still remain on some of the 8900 Classics and Orions.

Waterloo is STILL mooching off Kitchener AND Cambridge even today with more than transit lol!!

Ok? How are Waterloo and Cambridge mooching off Kitchener for transit when the Region of Waterloo owns and operates all the vehicles and facilities, not the three cities? :blink:
Please consider this account permanently inactive.

#17 OC 8208

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

PRP plates are issued to participants in the International Registration Plan,
only a small number of jursidictions in North America do not participate they are Mexico, Alaska, Yukon, Nunavut, and NWT
PRP plates for trucks are in the series PA-PZ i.e. 792 (Crown)1PA
BP is the letter combination used on prorated bus plates i.e. 792 (Crown)1BP.
They would be seen only on intercity coaches that run regular routes.
If I recall most "hounds" carry Alberta plates so Ontario PRP plates on buses are quite a rare sight.

Charter coaches are not required to participate in IRP

reason why i asked was when i was in Ottawa trucks had to have PRP plates to operate in Quebec and i was thinking it would have been the same for OC

#18 SMS

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

at the time, i think it was limited to buses, taxis and limos etc. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks that makes much more sense
STRSM motto

#19 TTC 9701

• Still kicking around... For now.

• 2,267 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:41 AM

What unit and model was the bus?

#20 SMS

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:51 AM

Guelph 137 - GM(?) Classic
STRSM motto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users