GO Transit

• Please log in to reply
6421 replies to this topic

#361 Enzo Aquarius

• I never asked for this.

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

The new GO Transit locos (MP40PH-3C) are now operating on the Barrie line. Saw 602 running on it today.

#362 smallspy

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

The new GO Transit locos (MP40PH-3C) are now operating on the Barrie line. Saw 602 running on it today.

It's happened before, and it's still not going to be a regular occurance for some time.

And I might as well add, since I haven't seen it on here yet - MPI has started to ship new units again. 609 is on its way over, and 610 has been entered into the shipping systems.

Dan

#363 Orion V

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

I've got unconfimred news that 2390 and 91 are the D4500CTHs and have been built already ready for delivery.

Starting next week, they're going to take all the 10 speeds off 94 and use mainly V Subs as a massive transfer is happening over the weekend. Don't know how true this is though. 96 will remain a coach route; no news on 95 and 62.

2377 arrived today.
Can't buy artics or double deckers? HAVE NO FEAR...
Want a 40ft HF capacity bus that's accessible? HAVE NO FEAR...
3 models still exist in North America:

RTS Legend
Metro 45C
416 Gen II

#364 DavidH

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

Starting next week, they're going to take all the 10 speeds off 94 and use mainly V Subs as a massive transfer is happening over the weekend. Don't know how true this is though. 96 will remain a coach route; no news on 95 and 62.

Funny. Out of 6 trips on the 96 so far this week, three of my trips have been on V Subs. It's a coach route, except when it isn't.
David

#365 Red Rocket 191

• Red Rocket 191

• 1,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

From the Toronto Star:

Shortened assessments will speed Milton GO line
June 25, 2008
TESS KALINOWSKI
STAFF REPORTER
The province's new expedited, six-month environmental assessment process means commuters on GO Transit's Milton line should have all-day, two-way service in about three years — an improvement that would have sped Ontario Transportation Minister Jim Bradley's progress today.

Bradley was held up in traffic on Highway 401 on his way to the Streetsville GO station in Mississauga, where he was touting the new environmental assessment rules to the media.

The delay of about 20 minutes meant Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion had to make her brief trackside remarks and exit just as the minister was arriving.

"It's time we shortened the (environmental assessment) procedure, cut out the red tape and get on with it," McCallion told reporters and the GO and government officials.

Extending the Lakeshore GO line east from Oshawa to Bowmanville is also expected to take about three years.

The new environmental assessment process means, "We can predict when we will be through to the end. You can't predict the results but you can predict it's going to run its course," said GO Transit Board Chair Peter Smith.

"Prior to this it could take many years for these projects to begin," said Bradley.

The six-month process includes 120 days for public consultation on positive or negative environmental impacts, a 30-day comment period and 35 days for the provincial environment minister to consider public requests for review of the project.

This is great news, as many feared that rail projects were excluded from the new EA process. I've always believed that the Georgetown South EA was going to be sent back once the new framework was in place and the RTP was released, so hopefully this is evidence that the province is moving in that direction.
IPB Image
Visions For The GTTA A comprehensive plan to improve public transportation in the greater Toronto area.
Visions For The GTTA Blog Reporting on current events and ideas on GTA transit.

#366 DavidH

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:41 PM

Wasn't this already in place, though? I thought that the various TTC EAs for Transit City were already progressing under these rules. Unless the news is the applicability for rail, as you suggested?
David

#367 Red Rocket 191

• Red Rocket 191

• 1,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

Wasn't this already in place, though? I thought that the various TTC EAs for Transit City were already progressing under these rules. Unless the news is the applicability for rail, as you suggested?

It was clear that the new process applied to transit projects, but it was unclear if mainline railway expansions were included.
IPB Image
Visions For The GTTA A comprehensive plan to improve public transportation in the greater Toronto area.

#368 38 Creditview

• 146 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

The province's new expedited, six-month environmental assessment process means commuters on GO Transit's Milton line should have all-day, two-way service in about three years — an improvement that would have sped Ontario Transportation Minister Jim Bradley's progress today.

The most important part of that article. This is awesome news!

#369 Orion V

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:35 PM

Anyone know what is the likelihood that they're put back the Georgetown line to Guelph? They did it to the Branford line to Barrie or is it because that line are way more ridership in that seciton than the Guelph section?

Also, why did GO switch from S60EGR to C13 in the D coaches?

Edited by Orion V, 25 June 2008 - 08:07 PM.

RTS Legend
Metro 45C
416 Gen II

#370 smallspy

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:48 PM

I've got unconfimred news that 2390 and 91 are the D4500CTHs and have been built already ready for delivery.

I suppose that is possible, except that 2390 and 2392 were the units photographed last month.

If GO was to recieve the rest of the 44 units due this year in one shot, that would take them to 2397 - leaving 2398 and 2399 for the hybrids.

Dan

#371 Red Rocket 191

• Red Rocket 191

• 1,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:09 PM

Anyone know what is the likelihood that they're put back the Georgetown line to Guelph?

Pretty likely, as a feasibility study has already begun. Waterloo Region has been hungry for GO service, and I have a feeling that GEXR might be a little more receptive to extending the Georgetown line to Guelph / Kitchener than CP will be to extending the Milton line to Cambridge.
IPB Image

#372 Orion V

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

I suppose that is possible, except that 2390 and 2392 were the units photographed last month.

If GO was to recieve the rest of the 44 units due this year in one shot, that would take them to 2397 - leaving 2398 and 2399 for the hybrids.

Dan

Now I might have missed something but how can we say for sure those 2 units photographed are NOT hybrids? Do the D4500CTHs have something distinctive about them?
From a qucik search, here's one pic I found of the D4500CTH and there's no distinction between this and a D4500CT especially viewed from the front end which was how 2390/92 were taken in that pic IIRC.

http://blogs.ridemet...brid-Buses.aspx

RTS Legend
Metro 45C
416 Gen II

#373 2822

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:27 AM

The most important part of that article. This is awesome news!

Its about time, now the only one after 2011 without all day train service will be the Richmond Hill line.

#374 smallspy

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

Now I might have missed something but how can we say for sure those 2 units photographed are NOT hybrids? Do the D4500CTHs have something distinctive about them?
From a qucik search, here's one pic I found of the D4500CTH and there's no distinction between this and a D4500CT especially viewed from the front end which was how 2390/92 were taken in that pic IIRC.

http://blogs.ridemet...brid-Buses.aspx

I never said that those two were hybrids. And you're right, there seem to be no major external modifications for the hybrids, at least from the front and side.

But when GO orders test equipment, they usually order it on the last (or last two) vehicles. Admittedly it is just a guess, but my thinking is that neither of those two in the photo were hybrids.

Dan

#375 TheAverageJoe

• 6,933 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Pretty likely, as a feasibility study has already begun. Waterloo Region has been hungry for GO service, and I have a feeling that GEXR might be a little more receptive to extending the Georgetown line to Guelph / Kitchener than CP will be to extending the Milton line to Cambridge.

I dont see why RailAmerica would say no since they would be getting a upgraded line for little or no cost to them

#376 kitchenerlrt

• 724 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:23 PM

I hope that GEXR is more receptive.

Great news on the Milton line :(.
Toronto FC Supporter

#377 smallspy

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 7,979 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

I dont see why RailAmerica would say no since they would be getting a upgraded line for little or no cost to them

RailAmerica has no say, since they don't own the line.

I'm sure that CN on the other hand, wouldn't mind all that much.

Dan

#378 TheAverageJoe

• 6,933 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:40 PM

RailAmerica has no say, since they don't own the line.

I'm sure that CN on the other hand, wouldn't mind all that much.

Dan

Yes I forgot that Railtex leased the line but again CN wouldnt mind since they wouldnt be spending on line

#379 newflyerinvero

• 3,669 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

From the Toronto Star:

This is great news, as many feared that rail projects were excluded from the new EA process. I've always believed that the Georgetown South EA was going to be sent back once the new framework was in place and the RTP was released, so hopefully this is evidence that the province is moving in that direction.

Where would the Georgetown South rail line go to?
I also remember when a new proposal for a 'mid-town line' would be taking shape. What, if any was the areas or GO stations that line would serve?
I may be in Oakville now, but it doesn't mean that I can't still critique Burlington City Council and/or Burlington Transit...just from a farther, safer distance. :P

#380 D. DeLarge

• That 1 Queen Bowl

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:02 PM

Yes I forgot that Railtex leased the line but again CN wouldnt mind since they wouldnt be spending on line

Ownership went something like Railink > RailAmerica > Fortress (who now owns GEXR).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users