Photo

Megabus US/Canada

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#261 jlarocque2005

• Guests
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Incorrect. 95 is the number that still needs to be delivered, not the total number ordered.

Source (in Dutch, can't find one in English): http://www.nieuwsbla...icleid=6T3JCLCE

Quick translation of the most important passages: Bus builder Van Hool sees its contract with Stagecoach, for delivery of double decker coaches to the USA expanded. The contract is no longer for 60 coaches, but for 140. 96 of these will be delivered next year. Confirmed by a Van Hool spokesperson.

Here's the full story in English ( Google Chrome translation)
Just a thought it would be nice to see Greyhound operate them since the ban on long haul travel in the USA has been lifted (Part highlighted)

News
Van Hool can deliver double-double of America
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2011, 3:00 AUTHOR: (BLG)

KONINGSHOOIKT - bus manufacturer Van Hool Koningshooikt see from a previous contract with Stagecoach to supply double-decker buses in the United States expanded.

Bus manufacturer Van Hool from Koningshooikt see an earlier contract with Stagecoach to supply double-decker buses in the United States expanded. It's no longer about 60 but to 140 buses, 96 of which are still to be delivered next year.

This confirms Goffin Dirk Van Hool. The Scottish listed Stagecoach announced Wednesday that the 44 million pounds (51.5 million) invests in its Megabus operations in the United States and United Kingdom. Van Hool offers 140 double-decker buses to the company , wholly Koningshooikt produced and then shipped. Additional staff has therefore not attracted Van Hool says Goffin yet. That it is a double-decker buses go first, because until recently were not allowed for long distance transport on U.S. highways. The new buses can accommodate 81 passengers, compared with 57 for regular buses. Maintenance will be done in eight service centers throughout the U.S., Van Hool operates with its exclusive distributor ABC Companies, which owns 35 percent. By bus manufacturer Van Hool employs approximately 4,250 people, of whom 4,050 at its headquarters in Koningshooikt and 200 at the site in Bree.

CODE
151 Tunnys Pasture

Posted Image

#262 York Transit

• Permanently Banned

• 1,063 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

Posted Image

On my NYC-Toronto trip, I got one of these Megabuses with a glass roof. (awesome btw)

Are these new buses or renovated with the windows?
IPB Image

#263 NeOn Bus Rider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 676 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Posted Image

On my NYC-Toronto trip, I got one of these Megabuses with a glass roof. (awesome btw)

Are these new buses or renovated with the windows?

Most likely new, it would be way to expensive to 'retrofit' a glass roof.

#264 Orion VIII

• High floor buses and high floor buildings

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 11,224 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

I hope there are curtains...I had bad enough sunburn from sitting in the front row last year.
Posted Image
That moment where the buses are all lined up as if it was a charter.

VISIT MY WEBSITE | VIDEOS

#265 TheAverageJoe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

A bit of tin in the glass would have been nice to keep the direct sun light out but still not make it too dark

#266 Oc4526

• 1,364 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:31 AM

Found this on MegaBus.com which means the New Bus stn in Montreal is open.

Montreal Terminal Location Change

Posted: Monday 12 December 2011

Please be advised that as our pick up and departure location in Montreal has moved to 1717 Berri Street, Platform #10, around the corner from the previous location.

#267 ADB

• Administrator

• CPTDB Administrator
  • 3,271 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

The terminal opened December 8, according to the CBC.
Posted Image

#268 NeOn Bus Rider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 676 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

I hope there are curtains...I had bad enough sunburn from sitting in the front row last year.

You would not get sunburn, the glass prevents UV rays from entering. The glass should be dual paned as to make the HVAC efficient and the glass in probably tempered so it does not shatter into big 'pointy' pieces in a event of an accident.

#269 MCIBUS

• 1,508 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

Found this on MegaBus.com which means the New Bus stn in Montreal is open.

Montreal Terminal Location Change

Posted: Monday 12 December 2011

Please be advised that as our pick up and departure location in Montreal has moved to 1717 Berri Street, Platform #10, around the corner from the previous location.

This new terminsal is it for all inter-city buses IE Grethound vermont transit,trailways,Voyageur,Orleans Express?

And where exactly is=s this new terminal? is near the old one?
If I recall the old was on the corner of Berri & ?? Is it near that?

Take A Ride On OC's Double Decker Buses

OC TRANSPO

PEOPLE MOVING PEOPLE

WHEREVER LIFE TAKES YOU
HOME OF THE

DOUBLE DECKER*HYBRD*D60LFR*INVERO*O-TRAIN

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/user/mcibus2000

#270 Oc4526

• 1,364 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

This new terminsal is it for all inter-city buses IE Grethound vermont transit,trailways,Voyageur,Orleans Express?

And where exactly is=s this new terminal? is near the old one?
If I recall the old was on the corner of Berri St. and de Maisoneuve Blvd** Is it near that?

The new bus terminal (Gare_d'autocars_de_Montréal ) is located right next door to the old one on rue berri in the failed Uqam building (The Îlot Voyageur) which was to house university students plus the bus terminal below

#271 Jay_L

• 37 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:55 PM

Some awkwardly located concrete posts in there. Depending on which lane you're leaving from you gotta be extra cautious.

#272 MVTArider

• Reporting From the Twin Cities

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 956 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

I found DD525 in downtown Minneapolis yesterday. Weird part was it looked like the driver just parked there and either took off or was checking something inside. The front door was open so I couldn't help but wonder if I could've gotten a quick interior shot of the lower level as well. I decided not to however since I had to get going. If I run into that situation again I'll check it out a little more carefully in case I could get permission to take a photo of the inside. Anyone know if MegaBus drivers are friendly to having their coaches photographed?
Posted Image Posted Image

EDIT: I checked the schedules and it looks like this bus was actually in service after all. A couple months ago the Minneapolis MegaBus stop was shifted to a different location instead of this one. Must have been a temporary thing. Still it did not look like anyone was on board when I was taking my photos.
J. Mc -
Likes; buses, streetcars, subways, rapid transit, watching the Simpsons,
Dislikes; Cul-de-sacs, racism, turtlenecks
Fun fact: Eats way too many donuts

TheTransitCamera: PHOTOS - VIDEOS - BLOG

#273 NeOn Bus Rider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

Megabus Driver acquitted of Criminal Charges for the crash in Syracuse, NY.

http://toronto.ctv.c...=TorontoNewHome

#274 TheAverageJoe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Port Authority Wants Megabus Gone From Bus Terminal

HELL'S KITCHEN — The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has finally weighed in on Megabus' stop outside of their bus terminal — it wants the discount carrier out.
Megabus has been operating an outdoor hub on West 41st Street between Eighth and Ninth avenues — in the shadow of the terminal — since February.
In a letter sent today to the Department of Transportation, the Port Authority asked the DOT not to renew the discount operator's permit allowing them to operate there free of charge, citing numerous safety concerns.
The permit is set to expire on Monday.
“Running a major long-haul bus operation on a city street outside one of the world’s busiest bus facilities is unsafe, risky and simply not smart,” said Port Authority Executive Director Pat Foye in a statement.
“During the two-month pilot program, the arrangement’s impact on the safety of pedestrians and on our facility has been of concern to us and we encourage the city to seek a more appropriate and less dangerous location for Megabus to run its operations.”
According to the Port Authority, long lineups of passengers waiting to board Megabus' double-deckers frequently block the terminals lower level bus exit onto West 41st Street during peak times.
The PA also said that many luggage-dragging Megabus passengers cross in the middle of West 41st Street to get to the carrier's mid-block stop instead of making the crossings at intersections.
A spokesman for the Department of Transportation said it will take the Port Authority's input into consideration when deciding whether to renew the license. The department will also go back to Community Board 4 for feedback, he added.
The discount carrier, meanwhile, rejected the Port Authority's notion that the stop is unsafe.
"There have been no safety-related incidents at the site during the three-month trial period," said George Lence, a Megabus spokesman. "We have operated fully within the parameters set by DOT and we look forward to continuing to serve our customers from this popular and convenient stop."
In April, a New York Supreme Court judge threw out a case against the DOT on behalf on a group of bus carriers operating out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal that was seeking an injunction against the stop.
The carriers, including Greyhound, Peter Pan Bus Lines, and Adirondack Transit Lines, argued that the hub gave Megabus all the advantages of a desirable Port Authority location, without the millions of dollars in fees it takes to operate out of the terminal itself.

http://www.dnainfo.c...l#ixzz1tx9rRPP8

#275 NeOn Bus Rider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Port Authority Wants Megabus Gone From Bus Terminal

HELL'S KITCHEN — The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has finally weighed in on Megabus' stop outside of their bus terminal — it wants the discount carrier out.
Megabus has been operating an outdoor hub on West 41st Street between Eighth and Ninth avenues — in the shadow of the terminal — since February.
In a letter sent today to the Department of Transportation, the Port Authority asked the DOT not to renew the discount operator's permit allowing them to operate there free of charge, citing numerous safety concerns.
The permit is set to expire on Monday.
“Running a major long-haul bus operation on a city street outside one of the world’s busiest bus facilities is unsafe, risky and simply not smart,” said Port Authority Executive Director Pat Foye in a statement.
“During the two-month pilot program, the arrangement’s impact on the safety of pedestrians and on our facility has been of concern to us and we encourage the city to seek a more appropriate and less dangerous location for Megabus to run its operations.”
According to the Port Authority, long lineups of passengers waiting to board Megabus' double-deckers frequently block the terminals lower level bus exit onto West 41st Street during peak times.
The PA also said that many luggage-dragging Megabus passengers cross in the middle of West 41st Street to get to the carrier's mid-block stop instead of making the crossings at intersections.
A spokesman for the Department of Transportation said it will take the Port Authority's input into consideration when deciding whether to renew the license. The department will also go back to Community Board 4 for feedback, he added.
The discount carrier, meanwhile, rejected the Port Authority's notion that the stop is unsafe.
"There have been no safety-related incidents at the site during the three-month trial period," said George Lence, a Megabus spokesman. "We have operated fully within the parameters set by DOT and we look forward to continuing to serve our customers from this popular and convenient stop."
In April, a New York Supreme Court judge threw out a case against the DOT on behalf on a group of bus carriers operating out of the Port Authority Bus Terminal that was seeking an injunction against the stop.
The carriers, including Greyhound, Peter Pan Bus Lines, and Adirondack Transit Lines, argued that the hub gave Megabus all the advantages of a desirable Port Authority location, without the millions of dollars in fees it takes to operate out of the terminal itself.

http://www.dnainfo.c...l#ixzz1tx9rRPP8

Wow, the space was even rent-free! lol Greyhound, Peter Pan and Trailways are just full of it! Megabus pays rent in Toronto, Buffalo and I am sure in Washington DC. Whether they pay or not, still won't hurt their services. At one point Megabus did pay rent to the Port Authority Bus Terminal but only for the M24 route when it arrived from and departed to Toronto. I am also sure that the Megabus corporation pays NY State Taxes to operate in New York.

#276 TheAverageJoe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

New York City charges them to pick up and drop off on the streets now. Its just First Group wanting to get rid of the other guy thats all!

#277 NeOn Bus Rider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

New York City charges them to pick up and drop off on the streets now. Its just First Group wanting to get rid of the other guy thats all!

Yeah sounds like a typical First Group and Stagecoach competition war!

#278 NeOn Bus Rider

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 676 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

"Megabus.com expands service to/from Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and five cities"

http://us.megabus.co...ive cities.aspx

#279 sdgta2008

• 168 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:44 AM

Montréal's stop has moved once again to 997 rue Saint-Antoine Ouest. Does anyone know if Greyhound and Orléans Express will be going there too? I applaud the move as it'll be much closer to the Bell Centre.

#280 TheAverageJoe

• 6,822 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Montréal's stop has moved once again to 997 rue Saint-Antoine Ouest. Does anyone know if Greyhound and Orléans Express will be going there too? I applaud the move as it'll be much closer to the Bell Centre.

Sounds more of a cost savings from Stagecoach ,as what was done with Megabus in the USA to save on paying fees at large city Terminals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users