Photo

Marine Atlantic's New "Atlantic Vision"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ghYHZ

• 109 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:06 AM

Marine Atlanticís new ďAtlantic VisionĒ will soon be entering service between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and itís one big boat!

It is the former Superfast IX (built: 2002) and until recently operated between Helsinki and Estonia.

Some specs:

203m long
30,000 GT
530 cars
1000 passengers
196 cabins
Speed: 30.4 kn

I believe it will be the largest ferry operating in Canada.

Hereís a link:

http://www.marine-at...newvessel.shtml

As a comparison:

Marine Atlanticís Caribou is 27,212 GT, 179m long, 49 cabins, 350 cars & 1200 passengers.

BC Ferries Spirit Of Vancouver Island is 18,750 GT, 167m long, 470 cars & 2000 passengers

BC Ferries Coastal Inspiration is 21,777 GT, 160m long, 370 cars & 1600 passengers

#2 smallspy

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 8,023 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:51 AM

I guess traffic is so far up on the Newfie routes that they require a larger and faster boat.

When I was last there 8 years or so, there were such backups in traffic that MA had to lease a high-speed car-carrying CAT, on top of the Caribou, Smallwood and the Erickson.

Dan

#3 soo8513

• 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:18 PM

we travelled this summer and rode both the Caribou and the Erickson.

Erickson took 7 hours to cross; Caribou 5.5 and Erickson was "worn" and layout is not as efficient or comfortable as the Caribou.

It could be that MA had to opportunity to acquire a class vessel and not go though a buy new process or like their sister rail operation VIA like to buy used European equipment and convert to Canadian needs.

I'm looking forward to travelling on the Atlantic Vision next time we're east.

#4 D40LF

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

When I sailed on the Caribou, both to Port-aux-Basques and back to North Sydney I saw some info on the Atlantic Vision.

When checking in for the return sailing I asked about the future plans.

I was told that the Atlantic Freighter is to be retired and the Leif Erickson will take over as the freight ferry.

This will then leave the Caribou, and Atlantic Vision on the Port-aux-Basques run while the Smallwood will remain on the Argentia run.

#5 ghYHZ

• 109 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:57 AM

Here's the new "Atlantic Vision" (centre) at North Sydney, Nova Scotia. The Leif Ericson is on the left and Caribou, on the right.

Posted Image

#6 D40LF

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

I heard that the Atlantic Vision's entry into service could be delayed due to a fire in late December.

#7 traveler777

• 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:07 AM

I heard that the Atlantic Vision's entry into service could be delayed due to a fire in late December.

I was there in St Johns when they christened The Atlantic Vision. That was Dec 11th or 12th of 08. I did not know of a fire. What a beautiful ship. Was it a big fire?
Traveler777
Atlantic City

#8 D40LF

• CPTDB Wiki Editor
  • 4,334 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:58 AM

I was there in St Johns when they christened The Atlantic Vision. That was Dec 11th or 12th of 08. I did not know of a fire. What a beautiful ship. Was it a big fire?
Traveler777
Atlantic City

http://www.thewester...i...5173&sc=506

#9 Lizapotter

• Banned
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:29 AM

congrats! can you tell me when and where it was built. Someone told me that this ship was built in 2002 as MS Superfast IX by HDW, Kiel, Germany for Attica Group's subsidiary Superfast Ferries

#10 traveler777

• 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:41 PM

Yes it was built in 2002 but won't go into service until April 2009. Do you know anything about the fire?

Traveler777
Atlantic City

http://www.thewester...i...5173&sc=506

Thanks D40lf I did not look at link before I posted.

#11 MegaMoonLiner

• Sailor Moon Fan | SKYLINER rules them all!!

• 2,620 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

Marine Atlanticís new ďAtlantic VisionĒ will soon be entering service between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and itís one big boat!

It is the former Superfast IX (built: 2002) and until recently operated between Helsinki and Estonia.

Some specs:

203m long
30,000 GT
530 cars
1000 passengers
196 cabins
Speed: 30.4 kn

I believe it will be the largest ferry operating in Canada.

Hereís a link:

http://www.marine-at...newvessel.shtml

As a comparison:

Marine Atlanticís Caribou is 27,212 GT, 179m long, 49 cabins, 350 cars & 1200 passengers.

BC Ferries Spirit Of Vancouver Island is 18,750 GT, 167m long, 470 cars & 2000 passengers

BC Ferries Coastal Inspiration is 21,777 GT, 160m long, 370 cars & 1600 passengers

We can see how big is this ferry by knowing that the biggest ferries are in use around Europe, where this one came from. I even saw somewhere that the world's biggest ferryboat was in use in the Baltic, this in the late 90's. Today it's the "Color Magic", a cruiseferry owned and operated by Color Cruises.

I liked the livery for these Marine-Atlantic, tough, they remind me a lot about the Disney cruiseships! :lol:

ijn_yamato_commander.pngusagi_tsukino_boyfriend.png
japanrailwaybuskantofan.pngneoplanaddict.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
== NEOPLAN JAPAN MANIAC SINCE 2009! ==
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: USE OF MEGAMOONLINER COPYRIGHTED MATERIALS

1. You are allowed to use blank patterns only for your own paintings, which are exactly provided for the effect.

2. You are not allowed to post any MegaMoonLiner papercraft template elsewhere than the CPTDB without permission.

3. You are not allowed to remove the contents present on the templates: you risk of never see anything from me anymore.

4. Structural modifications of whatever nature without previous permission are strictly prohibited.

5. I am not widely open to requests, but you are always free to try and ask.

6. For a specific papercraft you have seen on the Web, but cannot find it anywhere, ask me via PM.

Follow these very simple rules, and I might just do more and perhaps better than what I already do. Thank you in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users