Northstar☆ Commuter Rail

dj.surf.lfs

• 1 month later...

Northstar trains will operate along a 40-mile route between Big Lake and downtown Minneapolis. Stations will be located in Big Lake, Elk River, Anoka, Coon Rapids-Riverdale, Fridley and downtown Minneapolis, adjacent to the new Minnesota Twins’ ballpark. Here is a link to the Northstar Commuter Rail website. http://www.mn-getonboard.com/index.html The site offers updates on construction and photos. Testing of the locomotives are scheduled to begin in June.

Here is a YouTube video of the inside of the locamotive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fleet numbers on these things are tiny.

I'm amazed they only started arriving a month ago. They've been leaving Thunder Bay since early February. I didn't think interiors would take that long.

• 4 weeks later...
Is the Hiawatha Line extension to meet Northstar still on track?

They have actually finished the track and the catenary and stations should be finished soon (they might be done already, I haven't been in that area in awhile).

• 4 weeks later...

spotted #702 in winnipeg on friday at the CP Winnipeg yard.

northstar.jpg

some time last week #708 & #709 were spotted leaving the main CP yard in London headed west.

how does bombardier divide the workload between plants? I always thought that Thunder Bay did it all, but from what I've heard on here, and from cars showing up in the london region I'm guessing they dont? can anyone shed some light on this for me? thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On a side note MTBA is leasing with the option to buy 12 UTA locomotives as well

It's 11 units, and apparently 4 are to be purchased outright, with the remainder being leased.

Which raises an interesting question - what has happened to the UTA of late? Are they in some sort of funding crunch?

Dan

It's 11 units, and apparently 4 are to be purchased outright, with the remainder being leased.

Which raises an interesting question - what has happened to the UTA of late? Are they in some sort of funding crunch?

Dan

They are. UTA recently cut service on the Frontrunner line as well as on some bus routes

See: http://www.rideuta.com/mediaRoom/pressRele...sReleaseID=1027

Dan

Thanks for the correct amount. So i guess this ends the rumors of MBTA getting ex GOF59PH's then

So i guess this ends the rumors of MBTA getting ex GOF59PH's then

I thought those rumours were killed a while back? I had been told in January that the MBTA had not allowed the MTBR to purchase any equipment for any reason.

Dan