Alexander Dennis Enviro500
|Alexander Dennis / TransBus Enviro500|
|Years of manufacture||2002 to present|
|Length||11.3 to 12.8 metres|
The Alexander Dennis Enviro500 is a tri-axle double-decker transit and commuter bus. It debuted in 2002 with TransBus International. A hybrid version of the Enviro500 was developed and unveiled in 2008. This model is called the Enviro500H. The Enviro500 is part of the Enviro-series of buses by Alexander Dennis, and is designed and built to meet European standards and the operating environment of Hong Kong and North America.
Design in Asia and Europe
The bus debuted in Hong Kong when the maximum width for buses was 2500 millimetres (98.4 inches). The later width of 2550 millimetres (100.3 inches) eventually became standard. The Hong Kong Enviro500 buses had a fixed top deck rear window where the glass is broken for emergency egress. The buses for Dublin and Glasgow retained the traditional window frame with push-out egress.
The styling of the Enviro500 was based on the single-deck Enviro300. The front upper area design was similar to the design used on the Plaxton President body. In late 2003, the design was revised with a slightly different lower front and rear fascia.
In 2012 Alexander Dennis launched a new version of the Enviro500 for Asia and Europe. This version of the Enviro500, in addition to following the exterior restyle that was first introduced in North America, uses a new chassis with the powertrain off-set to the left. The new chassis configuration along with a new staircase design have increased the seating capacity to 90. Changes in materials and parts design have lead to a reduction of weight as well.
Design in North America
In 2004 Alexander Dennis decided to explore the North American market with its Enviro500. The North American version has a modified body and redesigned fuel tank, which enabled the straight staircase to be moved forward. The rear of the bus is different from overseas versions as the top deck lacks a rear window. This area, instead, has a black gloss-effect rectangular panel with larger circular tail lights on either side.
In late 2007, Alexander Dennis announced that a 12.8 metre version of the Enviro500 will be made available for 2008. GO Transit was the first customer to receive this version. The Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada later took delivery of 12.8 metre length Enviro500 buses with two staircases.
At the 2011 APTA Expo in New Orleans, Alexander Dennis launched a redesigned look to the Enviro500 based on the front styling of the Enviro400. A lower height, "Go-Anywhere", option was launched as well, with OC Transpo and GO Transit being among the first customers. The lower height at 13 feet, six inches is only available as a 42 foot long bus.
The "Go-Anywhere" model is only available in a 42 foot length to make up for a reduction in seating capacity. Unlike the standard height model, the rear row of seats is over rearmost wheel with the fuel tank behind. The fuel tank had to be relocated due to the dropped body height. The door beside the last passenger window is used for maintenance access.
Specifications (On Enviro500 chassis)
- Length: 11.3m, 12m, or 12.8m
- Width: 2550mm
- Height: 4.3, 4.2 or 4.1m
- Cummins ISL9 EPA 2010, 8.9 litre, 330 or 380 hp (North America, 2010-present)
- Cummins ISLe Euro 5, 8.9 litre, 340 hp (2010-present)
- Cummins ISLe Euro 4, 8.9 litre, 340 hp (2006-2010)
- Cummins ISM EPA 2007, 10.6 litre, 330 hp (North America, 2007-2010)
- Cummins ISMe Euro 3, 8.9 litre, 335 hp (2002-2006)
- Cummins ISM EPA 2004, 10.6 litre, 330 hp (North America, 2004-2007)
- Allison B500R (2007-present)
- Voith D864.5 (2005-present)
- ZF 6HP604C (2006-present)
- Voith D864.3E (2002-2005)
- ZF 5HP602C (2002-2006)
- Front: Dana NDS 80LF Deep drop I beam, 17,640 lbs capacity, lock angle 55 degrees
- Rear: Dana Drop centre 28,665 lbs capacity,
- Tag: Dana T75ULF drop centre, 16,535 lbs capacity
- Front: Knorr Bremes disc
- Rear and tag: Dana S Cam
- ZF 8098
- GO Transit - Golden Horseshoe, ON
- Kelowna Regional Transit System - Kelowna, Lake Country, BC
- OC Transpo - Ottawa, ON
- Strathcona County Transit - Sherwood Park, AB (one year demo)
- Victoria Regional Transit System - Victoria, BC
- Whistler Transit System - Whistler, BC
- CLP Group employee shuttle (operated by Citybus)
- Kowloon Motor Bus (KMB)
- Long Win Bus
- Mass Transit Railway (MTR)
- New World First Bus (NWFB)
- Dublin Bus - Dublin
- First Glasgow - Glasgow
- Community Transit - Snohomish County, WA
- Gray Line New York - New York, NY
- Gray Line San Francisco - San Francisco, CA
- Gray Line of Washington Washington, DC
- Hawaii County Mass Transit Agency (Hele-On Bus) - Hawaii County, HI
- Open Top Sightseeing San Francisco - San Francisco, CA
- Regional Transportation Commission of Southern Nevada (RTC Transit) - Las Vegas, NV
- San Luis Obispo Regional Transit Authority (SLO Transit) - San Luis Obispo, CA
- Unitrans - Davis, CA
|July 2004||SFET222184GN11721||Cummins ISM||Voith D864.3E||
|2007||SFET132106GN11861||Cummins ISM||ZF 6HP602C|
|2007||SFET455257GN11888||Cummins ISL9||Allison B500R|
|Aug. 2011||SFET40738BGN12390||Cummins ISL9||Allison B500R||
- ↑ New-generation Enviro500: Lighter, more fuel-efficient and set to raise the bar (Press release). 06 November 2012. Alexander Dennis. Retrieved on 15 February 2013.
- ↑ Alexander Dennis set to unveil stylish new look for double deck range (Press release). Alexander Dennis Limited. 31 August 2011. Retrieved on 01 September 2011
- ↑ Alexander Dennis steps up a gear with new-look double deck and $150m business wins (Press release). Alexander Dennis Limited. 5 October 2011. Retrieved on 7 October 2011
- ↑ Alexander Dennis RHD Enviro500 Spec Sheet (Euro 5). Alexander Dennis Limited. Retreived on 26 February 2011
- ↑ Alexander Dennis RHD Enviro500 Spec Sheet (Euro 3). Alexander Dennis Limited. Retreived on 26 February 2011
- ↑ Alexander Dennis LHD Enviro500 Spec Sheet (EPA 2004). Alexander Dennis Limited. Retreived on 26 February 2011