Toronto Transit Commission route 53 'Steeles East'
|Number of Branches||5|
|Distance||16.68km (Finch Station - Markham Road)|
|Blue Night||353 Steeles East|
|Types of vehicles used||Orion V , Orion VII NG , Orion VII|
53 Steeles East is a route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This route services Steeles Avenue East. There is one western terminal, which is Finch Station. Eastern terminals include Pharmacy Avenue for route 53, Markham Road for 53B and express branch 53E, and Staines Road for 53A and express branch 53F. The 53, 53D and express branches only operate during rush hours. The 53A operates during all periods except weekday peak.
- November 23, 2008 - 53A Staines branch implemented at all off-peak times.
- January 2, 2011 - No early evening express service. 53A route extended into Morningside Heights. Staines service heavily reduced, with resources reallocated to Markham Rd branches.
- 53A Finch Station - Middlefield. Operated during late evening periods. This branch was eliminated on November 23, 2008 as full service was extended to Markham Rd (53B) and Staines (53A).
This route has five branches:
- 53 Finch Station - Pharmacy
- 53A Finch Station - Staines
- 53B Finch Station - Markham Road
- 53E Finch Station - Markham Road Express
- 53F Finch Station - Staines Road Express
All branches head north along Yonge until they reach Steeles Ave. They turn eastward at Steeles.
The 53 local branch, in the morning rush period, goes southbound along Pharmacy, west along Gordon Baker, then north on Victoria Park, and then finally goes back westward towards Finch Station. In the afternoon rush period, this is reversed and the route goes south along Victoria Park, east along Gordon Baker, and north along Pharmacy.
The 53A local branch does a loop in the Morningside Heights community, south on Staines Rd.
The 53B local branch goes east along Steeles East, turns north along McCowan, east on Elson, and south on Markham Rd., and heads back west along Steeles.
The express branches follow the same routing as regular branches, except it only stops at major intersections west of Victoria Park.
Overnight service is provided by 353 Steeles East .