Toronto Transit Commission route 5 'Avenue Rd'
|Number of Branches||2|
|Distance||5.96km (Eglinton Station - Queen's Park)|
|Types of vehicles used||Orion VII NG , Orion V|
5 Avenue Rd is a bus route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This route services Avenue Road via Oriole Parkway and Lonsdale Road. It also serves Queen's Park Circle, and a part of University Avenue. There is one northern terminal, which is Eglinton Station. Southern terminals include Queen's Park for branch 5, and Gerrard Street West for branch 5C.
- March 30, 1954 - Route begins operation, along Avenue Road from Queen's Park to Hillsdale.
- April 26, 1954 - Northern loop segment extended to Eglinton and Soudan.
- September 13, 1954 - Southern segment extended along University Avenue to Front Street for rush hour service.
- August 1955 - Northern short-turn loop moved to Lonsdale and Oriole.
- May 15, 1956 to December 15, 1956 - Looping inside Davisville Station halts due to construction of TTC Headquarters.
- February 28, 1963 - PM Rush service south of Queen's Park ends.
- May 21, 1963 - Northern short-turn loop moved to Heath, Forest Hill and Lonsdale.
- June 23, 1968 - Southern segment extended back to Front Street, service after University subway closes and all day Sunday and Holidays.
- January 28, 1978 - Service south of Queen's Park ends due to evening and Sunday service implemented on subway.
- January 4, 1982 - Midday weekday loop service added south of Queen's Park at Elm, Elizabeth and Gerrard.
- March 24, 1985 - Loop service to Gerrard improved to seven days a week, all day except for rush hours.
- April 22, 1985 - Short-turn loop (AM) extended to Davisville Station.
- April 19, 1987 - Service to Gerrard loop limited to weekday middays only.
- November 26, 1989 - Northern section rerouted to service Oriole to Eglinton, ending at Eglinton Station. Short-turn service (AM) ends.
- January 3, 1993 - Regular service to Gerrard loop resumes.
- February 18, 1996 - Elimination of late evening service on this route.
- March 19, 2000 - Service reduction of 4 minutes for midday and afternoon rush hour services.
- February 17, 2002 - Saturday service reduced from 13 minutes to 20 minutes.
- January 2, 2005 - Weekday midday service reduced from 17 minutes to 30 minutes.
- November 23, 2008 - Service added into late evening every day and service increased on Saturdays during the early evening. Service change to every 30 minutes.
- November 23, 2008 - Moved from Eglinton division to the newly-opened Mount Dennis division.
- May 9, 2011 - Moved to Wilson division.
- May 9, 2011 - Service removed due to system-wide cuts after 10pm on weekdays and after 7pm on weekends.
This route has 2 branches:
Branch 5, from Eglinton Station, operates west on Eglinton Avenue West, south on Oriole Parkway, west on Lonsdale Road and south on Avenue Road. it loops via Queen's Park Circle. This branch operates during rush hours and early evening on weekdays. It also operates all day on weekends.
Branch 5C follows the same routing as Branch 5 up to Queen's Park Circle. From there, it continues south on University Avenue. It then loops counter-clockwise via Elm Street, Elizabeth Street and Gerrard Street West. This branch operates during midday on weekdays only.
Overnight service is not provided on this route, however, the route operates until 7:00 PM every day.
|Weekday AM Peak||12||4||5 branch only.|
|Weekday Midday||30||2||5C branch only.|
|Weekday PM Peak||16||3||5 branch only.|
|Weekday Early Evening||30||1.5||5 branch only,|
Interlines with 56 Leaside.
|Weekday Late Evening||Route does not operate.|
|Saturday Early Morning||20||2||5 branch only.|
|Saturday Early Evening||Route does not operate.|
|Saturday Late Evening|
|Sunday Early Morning|
|Sunday Morning||30||1.5||5 branch only,|
Interlines with 56 Leaside.
|Sunday Early Evening||Route does not operate.|
|Sunday Late Evening|
|Last updated: May 9, 2011|