Niagara Falls Municipal Transit System

From CPTDB Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Not to be confused with Niagara Transit or Niagara Falls Transit, the agency equivalent for Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.

The City of Niagara Falls Municipal Transit System is a former public transit system that operated in Niagara Falls, New York, between 1965 and 1974.

History

The City of Niagara Falls Municipal Transit System operated as a public transportation operator between 1965 and 1974 for the City of Niagara Falls, New York. Previous carriers serving the City of Niagara Falls were the Niagara Falls and Suspension Bridge Railway Company (1882-1902); the International Railway Company (1902-1950); and the Niagara Frontier Transit System (1950-1965). The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority took over operations from the Niagara Falls Municipal Transit System on May 12, 1974, continuing some services today.

The Niagara Falls Municipal Transit System was sometimes referred to as "Cataract Transit", after the Latin word "cataracta", meaning "waterfall", referring to the Falls.

Former routes

NFMTS Route NFTA Route
A University 50 Main-Niagara
B Highland Ave. 50 Main-Niagara
C Ontario St. 52 Hyde Park
D Pierce Ave. 54 Military
E Pine Ave. 55 Pine Avenue
F Niagara St. 50 Main-Niagara
G Buffalo Ave. 50 Main-Niagara

Note: sections of the NFMTS routes are presently operated as part of the NFTA routes listed, except for D Pierce Ave. which was previously operated as part of route 54 Military.

All-time roster

The City of Niagara Falls operated two different models of General Motors buses during the short period of time it operated the system, with one model of the "Old Look" variety, and one model in the "New Look" variety.

During the time of the agency, buses were painted a teal colored base underneath the windows with a cream base above the windows. A white stripe followed from the back of the bus along the side to the front (underneath the windows) with a small contrasting crest for the agency to the left of the front entrance.[1]

Upon the takeover of service by the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority in 1975, buses were repainted to the their new color scheme (yellow, black and white), put in place after taking over services of the Niagara Frontier Transit System.


Fleet
Number
Thumbnail Serial Numbers Year Mfg Model Engine Transmission Notes
1-25 0225-0249 1965 GMC TDH-3501
"Old Look"
6 cycle Toroflow Diesel hydraulic to Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority, renumbered 401-425.
26-40 0147-0161 1968 GMC T6H-4521
"New Look"
6 cylinder diesel hydraulic to Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority, renumbered 526-540.

References