Proterra, Inc. (formerly Proterra, LLC and Mobile Energy Solutions, LLC) is an American bus manufacturer headquartered in Burlingame, California. The company also specializes in energy storage and charging equipment, electric propulsion, and composite material.
Proterra was founded by Dale Hill in 2004 to design and manufacture environmentally friendly, advanced technology heavy duty commercial vehicles. Hill had previously founded TransTeq, which manufactured the EcoMark CNG-electric hybrid buses used on the Denver MallRide. Based in Golden, Colorado, Proterra began development of their prototype battery-electric bus and introduced the 35-foot EcoRide in 2008. Foothill Transit became the first agency to purchase the EcoRide BE35. Alongside the EcoRide BE35, Proterra developed a hydrogen fuel cell-electric hybrid version called the EcoRide FCBE35. Burbank Bus was selected a the test market for the bus.
In early 2010, Proterra announced the construction of a new research and development center and manufacturing facility on the campus of Clemson University’s International Center for Automotive Research in Greenville, South Carolina. The company moved production to an interim assembly plant in Greenville to meet current demand.
Proterra introduced their next-generation electric bus, the Catalyst, at the 2014 APTA Bus and Paratransit Conference in Kansas City. Foothill Transit, the launch customer for the first generation bus, was the first to order the latest generation bus.
The California Energy Commission awarded a $3 million grant to Proterra in April 2015. The grant funded the design, development and construction of a new manufacturing facility in California's San Gabriel Valley. In October 2015, Proterra announced the opening of its new headquarters in Burlingame, California. Proterra's new 100,000-square-foot manufacturing facility in the City of Industry opened in 2017.
- ZX5 - 36-foot or 42-foot Battery-Electric
- Catalyst BE35 - 36-foot Battery-Electric
- Catalyst BE40 - 42-foot Battery-Electric
- EcoRide BE35 - 35-foot Battery-Electric transit bus
- EcoRide FCBE35 - 35-foot Hydrogen Fuel Cell Hybrid-Electric transit bus
- Delivery Van (was due to arrive Fall 2008)
- Shuttle Bus (was due to arrive Fall 2008)
- Proterra History (archived). Proterra, LLC.
- CITY OF BURBANK TO PREMIER WORLD'S FIRST PLUG-IN FUEL CELL TRANSIT BUS: Demonstration Project to Launch with Zero Emissions Vehicle in Spring 2009 , proterraonline.com, retrieved 2009-11-22
- Proterra Wins $3M California Energy Commission Grant to Expand Advanced Manufacturing of Zero-Emissions Transit Buses to West Coast. Press release. 08 April 2015.
- Proterra Joins the San Francisco Bay Area’s Highly Touted Transportation and Tech Hubs. Press release. 05 October 2015.