Sandwich, Windsor and Amherstburg Railway Company
Sandwich, Windsor and Amherstburg Railway Company was briefly owned by the Detroit United Railway (one of the predecessors of the present-day Detroit Department of Transportation operations) in the early 1900's and eventually became Transit Windsor on November 1, 1977.
- 1 History
- 2 Bus Routes
- 3 Bus Terminals and Garages
- 4 Interurban routes
- 5 Streetcar Roster
- 6 Bus Roster
- 7 Electric trolleybus Roster
- 8 References
- Owned by the Detroit United Railway from 31 August 31, 1901 until March 31, 1920.
- Operated by the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario from April 1, 1920 until September 22, 1934, as the Hydro Electric Railways: Essex District.
- The SW&A became the sole property of the City of Windsor in 1970 and Lincoln-Trent Management Ltd. operated the system from July 15, 1970 until November 1973.
- The SW&A became Transit Windsor on November 1, 1977.
As of March 15th, 1973
- 1 Ouellette
- 2 Bruce
- 3 Riverdale
- 4 Campbell
- 5 Ottawa
- 6 Dominion
- 7 Crosstown
- 8 Dougall
- 9 Erie
- 10 Highway #2
- 11 Forest Glade
- 12 Howard
- 12A Devonshire (Came later than 1973)
- 13 Lincoln
- 14 Lauzon
- 15 Malden
- 16 Wellington
In the 1960s, the SW&A carried approximately 10,328,258 passengers on 14 routes
- Dougall Avenue
- Erie Street
- Highway No. 2
- Lauzon Road
- Malden Road
- Howard Avenue
- St. Mary's Academy
- Sandwich East
Once the interurban lines were discontinued in 1938, buses were operated on the routes to Amherstburg (1938-1958, by Sun Parlour Coach Lines) and Tecumseh (1938-1956).
Bus Terminals and Garages
University Avenue Terminal
- Located on University Avenue just east of Ouellette Avenue.
- Serviced by 11 routes (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16)
(also known as the Chrysler Centre)
- Located at Hickory/Tecumseh roads (Currently the site of Mcdonald's) across the street from the Chrysler Manufacturing plant (hence the name Chrysler Centre)
- Serviced by 6 routes (1, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14)
London Street Car Barns
Kildare Road Garage
- Was located at 1570 Kildare Road (where the current GM Transmission plant exists today).
- The garage opened in 1948 and was closed in 1985. SW&A changed into Transit Windsor in 1977 and used the Kildare Road Garage until moving into the Central garage in 1985.
- Located in the town of Tecumseh during the 1950s. Usual complement was 2 buses. So far, that is all the information known.
As of 1913.
|48-49||Jun 1913||Kuhlman||Order number 561; closed car.|
|94||Overhead Line Maintenance.|
|107-108||1913||Kuhlman||Order number 565; closed car.|
|109-110||1916||Kuhlman||Order number 640; closed car.|
|351-370||1927||Cincinnati||Order 2380 (used); formerly Richmond Light & Railroad.
Eight buses were sold to the Medicine Hat Transportation Company in the early 1950's.
As of 1962, the SW&A had 92 buses in service.
|67-71||1940||Ford||09B?||Ford 239 cu. in. V8||3-speed Manual|
|72-90||1941||Ford||29B?||Ford 239 cu. in. V8||3-speed Manual|
|91-141||1942||Ford||29B?||Ford 239 cu. in. V8||3-speed Manual|
|101 (2nd)||1963||GMDD||SDM-4502||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Manual 4-speed||
|102 (2nd)||1964||GMDD||SDM-5302||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Manual 4-speed||
|103 (2nd)||Renumbered 1815.|
|142-146||1941||Ford||19B||Ford 239 cu. in. V8||3-speed Manual||Ex-TTC 770-774; bought December 1942.|
|147-154||1943||Ford||39B?||Ford 239 cu. in. V8||3-speed Manual|
|155-173||1944||Ford||49B||Ford 239 cu. in. V8||3-speed Manual|
|174-177||1945||Ford||59B||Ford 239 cu. in. V8||3-speed Manual|
|201-210||Twin Coach||34-S||Fageol 180 hp (Gasoline)||Unknown year.|
|211-230||1947||Twin Coach||34-S||Fageol 180 hp (Gasoline)|
|301-310||1947||Twin Coach||38-S||Fageol (Gasoline)|
|311-321||1948||Twin Coach||38-S||Fageol (Gasoline)|
|322-329||1948||Twin Coach||38-S||Fageol (Gasoline)|
|330-342||1949||Twin Coach||38-S||Fageol (Gasoline)|
|343-350||1949||Twin Coach||38-S||Fageol (Gasoline)|
|351-370||1950||Twin Coach||38-S||Fageol (Gasoline)|
|401-411||1947||Twin Coach||41-S||Fageol (Gasoline)|
|701-708||1962||GMDD||TDH-4517||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison VH9||703-708 to Transit Windsor 703-708.|
|709-714||1963||GMDD||TDH-4517||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison||To Transit Windsor 709-714.|
|715-716||1964||GMDD||TDH-4519||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison||To Transit Windsor 715-716.|
|717-726||1965||GMDD||TDH-4519||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison VH9||To Transit Windsor 717-726.|
|727-741||1966||GMDD||TDH-4519||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison VH9||To Transit Windsor 727-741.|
||1967||GMDD||TDH-4519||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison||To Transit Windsor 757-761.|
|757-761||1968||GMDD||TDH-4519||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison VH9||To Transit Windsor 757-761.|
|762-766||1968||GMDD||T6H-4521||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison||To Transit Windsor 762-766.|
|767-770||1969||GMDD||T6H-4521||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison||To Transit Windsor 767-770.|
|801-806||1971||GMDD||T6H-4521||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison|
|807-814||1973||GMDD||T6H-4523N||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison|
|815-822||1975||GMDD||T6H-4523N||Detroit Diesel 6V71N||Allison||To Transit Windsor 771-778.|
|1815||1966||MCI||MC-5A||Detroit Diesel 8V71N|
|1816-1817||1966||GMC||PD-4107||Detroit Diesel 8V71||4-speed Manual|
Electric trolleybus Roster
The Sandwich, Windsor and Amherstburg Railway Company operated trolleybuses from May 5, 1922 to May 1926.
|Fleet Numbers||Thumbnail||Year||Manufacturer||Model||Motor||Destination sign||Seating||Notes|
|1-4?||1922?||St. Louis Car Company||4 units in total; one was the Detroit demonstrator.|