Toronto Transit Commission route 116 'Morningside'
|Number of Branches||1|
|Distance||18.17km (Kennedy Station - Finch)|
|Blue Night||334 Eglinton East|
|Types of vehicles used||Nova Bus LFS HEV , Orion VII NG HEV|
116 Morningside is a bus route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This route services Morningside Avenue between Guildwood Parkway and Oasis Boulevard, Guildwood Parkway, and Eglinton Avenue east of Kennedy Road. It also serves the Morningside Heights community. The southern terminal is Kennedy Station and the northern terminal is Finch Avenue East for its one branch, 116.
This route has 1 branch:
- 116 Kennedy Station - Finch
- 116A Kennedy Station - Conlins Rd via Ellesmere (June 1991-May 2021)
- 116B Kennedy Station - Kingston Rd & Eglinton (October 2011-May 2021)
- 116C Kennedy Station - Finch (June 2014-May 2021)
- September 3, 1989 - Service begins replacing the 34B Eglinton East branch, which originally operated from Eglinton Station to Finch Avenue via Morningside.
- June 19, 2005 - Route made accessible.
- May 8, 2011 - Due to system-wide service cuts, service is removed on branches 116A and 116E after 10pm on weekdays and all day on weekends.
- October 11, 2011 - New westbound supplemental service on Eglinton Avenue East begins and is designated branch 116B. The 116B branch name is only used internally to differentiate trips that short turn at Markham Road. Eastbound trips on this branch deadhead to Markham Road and return westbound using the 116 branch display.
- January 6, 2014 - Branch 116B is formally recognized as a short turn branch. Service on the branch is increased and extended east to Kingston Road to replace the rush hour 34 Eglinton East branch to Kingston Road.
- June 22, 2014 - Eastbound 116 branch buses to Finch is redesignated 116C due to a system-wide reorganization of route branch designations.
- September 2, 2014 - As part of a system wide reorganization, express branch 116E to U of T Scarborough is replaced by the new 198 U of T Scarborough Rocket .
- May 11, 2020 - Due to reduced ridership during the COVID-19 pandemic, short turn branch 116B to Kingston Rd and Eglinton is temporarily suspended.
- September 10, 2020 - BYD K9M buses introduced to route, completing the rollout of all three series of battery-electric buses ordered for the head-to-head comparison
- October 11, 2020 - Dedicated rapid bus lanes were rolled out along Eglinton Avenue, Kingston Road, and Morningside Avenue between Brimley Road and U of T Scarborough, as part of a project to decrease travel times within the Kennedy Station - UTSC corridor. Route 116 services utilize the entire length of the rapid lanes, with the exception of the Kingston Road section between Guildwood and Morningside.
- March 28, 2021 - This route was transferred to Malvern upon the opening of the brand new McNicoll Division.
- May 9, 2021 - Branch 116A is cancelled, with service replaced by a redesigned route 905. Short turn branch 116B is eliminated with all service on this route operating to Finch Avenue East. Branch 116C is redesignated as 116.
Overnight service is provided by 334 Eglinton East along Eglinton Avenue East between Kennedy Road and Kingston Road and Morningside Avenue between Kingston Road and Ellesmere Road. The rest of the route does not have overnight service, however, the route operates until 1:00 AM every day.
Previous route maps
- https://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/routes/116-morningside.shtml TransitToronto. Retrieved 16 February 2018.