WEGO Visitor Transportation System
The WEGO Visitor Transportation System (or simply WEGO) is a bus rapid transit system in Niagara Falls, Ontario that was launched on August 13, 2012. It was initially to begin operations on June 29, however there was a delay in installing the intelligent transportation technology. WEGO is jointly operated by Niagara Falls Transit and the Niagara Parks Commission. It replaced Niagara Falls Transit's Falls Shuttle routes and the Niagara Parks Commission's People Mover route, which was using 20-25 year old non-accessible, non-heated Orion IV buses. WEGO provides fare integration between both systems for the first time.
The WEGO brand name debuted April 5, 2012. The pairing of the words "we" and "go" is meant to convey friendship and social activity and adventure and exploration.
A 10-year agreement to operate WEGO between the City of Niagara Falls and the Niagara Parks Commission was approved on August 25, 2011. The Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario will each provide $25 million in funding for the system. The parks commission will be responsible for operating, managing, and maintaining one route and the city will be responsible to do the same for two routes. The buses are owned by the city and will be shared by the parks commission. Buses will be leased to the parks commission for $1 per vehicle.
The Parks Commission employees are represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU), Local 217. (Which operate the Green Line and Orange Line)
The Niagara Falls Transit employees are represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1582. (Which operate the Red Line and Blue Line)
- Red Line - Lundy’s Lane (internally, route 601, op'd by Niagara Falls Transit)
- Blue Line - Fallsview / Clifton Hill (internally, route 602, op'd by Niagara Falls Transit)
- Green Line - Niagara Parks (internally, route 603, op'd ny Niagara Parks Commission)
- Orange Line - NOTL Shuttle (internally, route 604, op'd by Niagara Parks Commission)
- Purple Line - Downtown / Clifton Hill (merged with Green Line bus service)
|5201-5203, 5205-5211||2012||Nova Bus||LFX 60'||Cummins ISL9||ZF 6AP1700B||Niagara Falls Transit|
|5301-5305||2012||Nova Bus||LFX 40'||Cummins ISL9||ZF 6AP1400B||Niagara Falls Transit|
|9001-9009||2012||Nova Bus||LFX 60'||Cummins ISL9||Allison B500R||Niagara Parks Commission|
|9010-9011||2012||Nova Bus||LFX 40'||Cummins ISL9||Allison B400R||Niagara Parks Commission|
|5204||2012||Nova Bus||LFX 60'||Cummins ISL9||ZF 6AP1700B||Niagara Falls Transit||
- Langley, Alison (16 May 2012). New tourism buses stall. Niagara Falls Review. Retrieved on 04 June 2012.
- Re: Visitor Transportation System (VTS) (People Mover) (Report) Niagara Parks Commission. Retrieved on 27 March 2012
- Branding of new Niagara Falls Visitor Transportation System — WEGO — revealed (Press release). Government of Canada. 5 April 2012. Retrieved on 6 April 2012.
- City, Niagara Parks Commission reach deal on new Visitor Transportation System City of Niagara Falls. November 2011. Retrieved on 27 March 2012
- Spiteri, Ray (26 August 2011) People-mover system gets green light. Niagara Falls Review. Retrieved on 27 March 2012